Azolo

Azolo

Hey everyone,

I just released WebSockex which is a Elixir WebSocket client.

WebSockex strives to work as a OTP special process, be RFC6455 compliant, and be simple to use by providing smart defaults for common actions.

Take a look and let me know about any questions, suggestions, or any other comments you may have,

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Azolo

Azolo OP

Currently SSL peers aren’t verified. I tried to figure out how to make it work, but it seems really DIY in the underlying Erlang :ssl module.

If anyone has any advice on how to handle this it would be much appreciated. :smile:

jackalcooper

jackalcooper

Good library. I like the idea to map WS to a process. The WS library I’m using now doesn’t provide process abstraction so I have to implement it every time.

ericTsiliacos

ericTsiliacos

Does your library support reconnect? When the server goes down, we’d like the websocket client to try to reconnect indefinitely.

Azolo

Azolo OP

It does, take a look at the docs for handle_disconnect.

hildersantos

hildersantos

Thanks for sharing this with the community. I was looking for something exactly like this - I’m developing some API clients right now, and one of them needs to connect with a WebSocket. I guess this will help me a lot!

I’ll test it on the coming days.

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Jonathan

Awesome work, Im having some trouble though, how do i send json, im currently trying Client.send_frame(pid, {:text, "{'Page':{'url':'asdf'}}"}) but i get the response `Received Message: {“error”:{“code”:-32700,“message”:“Message must be a valid JSON”}}`` from the connected server.. any help would be appreciated

zambal

zambal

JSON should be double quoted, but I would just use a JSON encoder instead of manually writing it out:

json = %{Page: %{url: "asdf"}} |> Poison.encode!()
Client.send_frame(pid, {:text, json})
Jonathan

Jonathan

thanks! the double quote did the trick, but yeah, probably better to use an encoder..

Azolo

Azolo OP

WebSockex 0.1.3 Released!

The ChangeLog for this release includes:

  • Client.start_link will no longer cause the calling process to exit on
    connection failure and will return a proper error tuple instead.
  • Change WebSockex.Conn.RequestError to WebSockex.RequestError.
  • Add handle_connect_failure to be invoked after initiating a connection
    fails. Fixes #5

Checkout the v0.1.2..v0.1.3 diff for more info.

Azolo

Azolo OP

WebSockex 0.2.0 Released!

This release has some major API changes where callbacks are changed or removed without deprecation.

The affected callbacks are:

  • init/2 - Removed in favor of handle_connect/2.
  • handle_disconnect/2 - The first argument is now a map.
  • handle_connect_failure/2 - Removed with functionality rolled into handle_disconnect/2.

Please don’t be afraid to provide feedback. WebSockex is already meeting my needs, I’d like more information on what needs to change to meet the needs of others. :smile_cat:

The full changelog for this release includes:

Major Changes

  • Moved all the WebSockex.Client module functionality into the base WebSockex module.
  • Roll handle_connect_failure functionality into handle_disconnect.
  • Roll init functionality into handle_connect

Detailed Changes

  • Roll init functionality into handle_connect
    • handle_connect will be invoked upon establishing any connection, i.e., the intial connection and when reconnecting.
    • The init callback is removed entirely.
  • Moved all the WebSockex.Client module functionality into the base WebSockex module.
  • Changed the Application module to WebSockex.Application.
  • Add WebSockex.start for non-linked processes.
  • Add async option to start and start_link.
  • Roll handle_connect_failure functionality into handle_disconnect.
    • The first parameter of handle_disconnect is now a map with the keys: :reason, :conn, and :attempt_number.
    • handle_disconnect now has another return option for when wanted to reconnect with different URI options or headers: {:reconnect, new_conn, new_state}
    • Added the :handle_initial_conn_failure option to the options for start and start_link that will allow handle_disconnect to be called if we can establish a connection during those functions.
    • Removed handle_connect_failure entirely.

Checkout the v0.1.3..v0.2.0 diff for more info.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews