axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

This is a question that originated on the Elixir Slack from David Billskog and I have made only minor changes to the module.

Given this module:

defmodule Dummy do
  def execute(x) do
    with var_a <- get_a(x),
         var_b <- get_b(x) do
      IO.inspect(var_a, label: "a")
      IO.inspect(var_b, label: "b")
      IO.inspect({var_a, var_b})

      if var_a != var_b do
        IO.inspect(var_a, label: "a")
        IO.inspect(var_b, label: "b")
        IO.inspect({var_a, var_b})
      end
    end
  end
  defp get_a(x) do
    IO.puts("get a")
    if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "A"), do: 3, else: 2
    |> IO.inspect(label: "returning a")
  end
  defp get_b(x) do
    IO.puts("get b")
    if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "B"), do: 2, else: 1
    #|> IO.inspect(label: "returning b")
  end
end

Dummy.execute(["A", "B"])

I get this unexpected output:

$ elixir sample.exs
get a
get b
a: 3
b: 2
{3, 2}
a: 3
b: 1
{3, 1}

Does anyone understand what is happening here? I don’t expect for the value of b to change within the if statement, and I do expect the returning a inspect to be printed. Tested on elixir 1.11.2-otp-23 and erlang 23.0.2.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

slouchpie

slouchpie

I tested this with elixir 1.11.0 and Erlang 23.1 and I get a different result:

get a
get b
a: 3
b: 2
{3, 2}
a: 3
b: 2
{3, 2}
kwando

kwando

You probably need parenthesis around the if statement for the "returning a" part.

 defp get_a(x) do
    IO.puts("get a")
    (if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "A"), do: 3, else: 2)
    |> IO.inspect(label: "returning a")
  end

But I’m not sure what happens with the output, seems strange that var_b change value. :thinking:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

@axelson my hunch is that you are running into an Erlang or Elixir bug. Update to Erlang 23.1 and see if it persists. :slight_smile:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I just tried 23.1 (and 1.11.2) and can still reproduce the issue from slack. @axelson’s example doesn’t seem to cause issues for me.

❯❯❯❯ asdf local erlang 23.1                                                ~/Temp/test_elixir_problem
❯❯❯❯ iex                                                                   ~/Temp/test_elixir_problem
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:12:12] [ds:12:12:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Interactive Elixir (1.11.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> defmodule Dummy do
...(1)>   def execute(x) do
...(1)>     with a <- get_a(x), b <- get_b(x) do
...(1)>       IO.inspect(b)
...(1)>       if a != b, do: IO.inspect(b)
...(1)>     end
...(1)>   end
...(1)>   defp get_a(x) do
...(1)>     if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "A"), do: 3, else: 2 # always true
...(1)>   end
...(1)>   defp get_b(x) do
...(1)>     if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "c"), do: 2, else: 1 # always true
...(1)>   end
...(1)> end
{:module, Dummy,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 8, 140, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 232,
   0, 0, 0, 25, 12, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 68, 117, 109, 109, 121, 8,
   95, 95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, 95, 10, ...>>, {:get_b, 1}}
iex(2)> Dummy.execute(["A", "c"])
2
1
1
axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Ah, yes you are correct about the reason the inspects are not printing out (I forgot about the precedence rules with |>).

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

I’m still seeing the issue with elixir 1.11.2-otp-23 and erlang 23.1.5

blackode

blackode

We can check how the code was developed by using quote do

quote do
  if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "A"), do: 3, else: 2
  |> IO.inspect(label: "returning a")
end
|> Macro.to_string()
|> IO.puts()

That results to

if(Enum.any?(x, &(&1 == "A"))) do
  3
else
  2 |> IO.inspect(label: "returning a")
end

Which is always true in this case. So, it won’t enter into else

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Can confirm - Axelson’s example works fine on my machine (OTP23.1 / Elixir 1.11.2) and this one fails.

A colleague tried @LostKobrakai’s example on 22.2.6 / 1.11.1 and it printed 2 three times, as expected…

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Poked at it a little more. Strange things are afoot - I get different results depending on what’s on a line that never executes (OTP 23.1 / Elixir 1.11.2):

defmodule Dummy do
  def execute(x) do
    with var_a <- get_a(x),
         var_b <- get_b(x) do
      IO.inspect(var_a, label: "a")
      IO.inspect(var_b, label: "b")
      IO.inspect({var_a, var_b})

      if var_a != var_b do
        IO.inspect(var_a, label: "a")
        IO.inspect(var_b, label: "b")
        IO.inspect({var_a, var_b})
      end
    end
  end
  defp get_a(x) do
    IO.puts("get a")
    if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "A") do
      3
    else
      2 |> IO.inspect(label: "nope")
    end
  end
  defp get_b(x) do
    IO.puts("get b")
    if Enum.any?(x, & &1 == "B"), do: 2, else: 1
  end
end

Dummy.execute(["A", "B"])
# prints
get a
get b
a: 3
b: 2
{3, 2}
a: 3
b: 2
{3, 2}

But commenting out |> IO.inspect(label: "nope") makes it do the {3,1} thing…

EDIT: bonus fact - the 1 has some kind of additional significance, changing it to anything else makes the bug stop happening on my machine.

dbi

dbi

I simplified the example to this and can still reproduce the odd print running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 using Elixir 1.11.2 and Erlang 23.1.5.

defmodule Dummy do
  def execute(x) do
    with a <- get_a(x), b <- get_b(x) do
      IO.inspect(b)
      if a != b do
        IO.inspect(b)
      end
    end
  end
  defp get_a(x) do
    if x == "A", do: 3, else: 2
  end
  defp get_b(x) do
    if x == "A", do: 2, else: 1
  end
end
Dummy.execute("A")
# 2
# 1
# 1

Simplifying it one step furter, replacing if x == "A", do: 3, else: 2 (that will always evaluate to true) into if true, do: 3, else: 2 will fix the unexpected output.

defmodule Dummy do
  def execute(x) do
    with a <- get_a(x), b <- get_b(x) do
      IO.inspect(b)
      if a != b do
        IO.inspect(b)
      end
    end
  end
  defp get_a(x) do
    if true, do: 3, else: 2
  end
  defp get_b(x) do
    if x == "A", do: 2, else: 1
  end
end
Dummy.execute("A")
# 2
# 2
# 2

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews