Owens

Owens

Hi all,

I’ve been a proud member for the Elixir/Phoenix community since 2018 when I first saw Chris McCord’s demo of Live View. I was blown away by what was possible with just a few lines of code (and without writing js). Elixir further excited me because I spent many years in the Ruby community before and was impressed by the great work and contributions Jose Valim made in Ruby. I saw many smart people moving from the Ruby world over to Elixir, and it made a lot of sense why.

After spending close to a thousand hours going deeper and developing on Elixir and Phoenix, it’s my top choice for developing interactive apps that need concurrency or leverage websockets. I love the speed, dead-simple concurrency, and fault tolerance that you get, basically for free (microsecond FTW).

This year I got involved in a blockchain community called Stacks which enables dApps and smart contracts built on top of Bitcoin. I’m running the community’s accelerator program and work closely with the Stacks Foundation which is a non-profit offering grants for open source development related to Stacks.

Since I love building apps in Elixir and have interacted with so many talented people in this community, I’d love to see more integrations between Elixir and Stacks. I chose to work with Stacks because the developers contributing to projects are strong and remind me a lot of the Elixir community. I’m sold on the future of Elixir and the future of dApps with Stacks, so my dream scenario as a developer is to see more crossover in these communities.

If anyone’s interested in blockchain and getting funded to contribute to open source with Elixir, let me know. Or if you’re already building an open source Elixir library to work with other blockchains and can integrate Stacks, that would also be awesome. I’d be happy to answer any questions about Stacks and give feedback on ideas, as well as make intros to the Stacks Foundation to act as a champion for any Elixir-based projects.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Owens

Owens OP

Hello all,

I got a couple of messages with questions so wanted to mention that the way the grants work is that you come up with an idea for a project then submit it as a grant proposal with specific milestones. The Stacks Foundation will provide some funding upfront and then the rest based on your milestones. You don’t need to be working on it full-time. If anyone has more questions, shoot me a message or comment here!

AstonJ

AstonJ

This is great, Trevor :smiley:

Could you share some details on the type of grants or amounts people are likely to get? Perhaps knowing what might be available could grab more people’s attention :blush:

(I edited the thread title slightly btw, if you think it’s not clear enough let me know and we can alter it.)

Owens

Owens OP

Absolutely, you can learn more about the grants here: Grants | Stacks Foundation

All of the grant proposals are posted on GitHub with amounts (click on the Issues page)

https://github.com/stacksgov/Stacks-Grants

It’s a milestone based funding approach, where funding is unlocked from different deliverables. We’re seeing grants up to $100k right now, where usually it would be broken down into 3 or more milestones with the first milestone funded upfront. $100k is fairly rare though, and many of the grants are less than $30k. IMO, enabling more Elixir apps to be built on Stacks blockchain is very compelling (maybe I’m biased as an Elixir dev myself). It all depends on the potential open source value to what you’re building and how helpful it will be to other developers. If you’re interested, send me a ping. The process is very relationship based, so I can help guide anyone and help you vett your ideas to save time. The Foundation will look at the background of the person applying, and also what is the motivation to build something you’re building.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews