What are the most used BEAM languages?

There seems to be a lot of Beam languages :lol: but I’m curious to know which ones are the most used.

Obviously there is Erlang

Erlang was designed with the aim of improving the development of telephony applications. The initial version of Erlang was implemented in Prolog and was influenced by the programming language PLEX used in earlier Ericsson exchanges.

And Elixir

Elixir is a functional, concurrent, general-purpose programming language that runs on the Erlang virtual machine. Elixir builds on top of Erlang and shares the same abstractions for building distributed, fault-tolerant applications. Elixir also provides a productive tooling and an extensible design.

But what about the other Beam languages like Robert’s LFE, or Joxa or Clojerl? Are those used in production much? How ‘popular’ are they?

8 Likes

Based on what I’ve seen over time I’d rank them (ignoring the base erlang as everything uses it in some form) Elixir then LFE. All the others I’ve never seen in the wild other than Efene or whatever it was called and it’s been years since I’ve seen it.

LFE is well worth learning though! A nice take on the BEAM. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would think it is Erlang and Elixir and then everything else. I have used Erlog from time to time for small things, Erlua is used sometimes. But some of those like JOXA have not been updated in years

3 Likes

I know of at least one company using Purerl (a Purescript to Erlang compiler) in production. :slight_smile:

4 Likes