JsonKody
This is highly subjective but in my mind Haskell and Ruby/Rust has one of the most beautiful lambda syntax
\a b → a + b
and
|a, b| a + b
so if Elixir syntax is mostly form Ruby why they ditched one of the most beautiful things on Ruby and goes with this abomination monster:
&(&1 + &2)
??
![]()
PS: Please note, my intent is not to criticize; I’m genuinely interested in understanding the design choices behind this syntax. ![]()
edit/note: |a, b| a + b is just Rust syntax, I thought that it’s also Ruby, but while Ruby is similar it wraps it in labda { ... }
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
gpopides
I dont know the answer to your question but just a small note, this is not the lambda syntax.
The lambda syntax would be
fn a, b -> a + b endWhat you mention is the capture operator which is similar to method reference in java/kotlin
JsonKody
Yep, I know this syntax, and it’s okay—neither bad nor awesome. I was just curious about the other one and whether there’s a particular reason Elixir didn’t adopt the Ruby syntax.
Oh, my bad.
sodapopcan
Ruby now has
collection.map { _1 }so clearly they were a little jealous of ElixirBut ya, highly subjective.
I actually prefer Elixir’s since you don’t have to invent a variable name, even if just one letter. It makes refactoring that much more smooth.
LostKobrakai
Would the ruby syntax support multiple function heads? I wouldn‘t expect there‘s a clear way on how that would be handled.
JsonKody
Oh, I didn’t know about this feature. Sorry for my ignorance.
Now it really make sense.
JsonKody
Thanks for the explanation. I’m just starting to learn Elixir, so I’m still a beginner. Given this information, I have to admit that the lambda syntax in Elixir does make a lot of sense for its use-cases.
hauleth
Ruby lambda syntax is
lambda { |a, b| a + b }which is far from pretty IMHO. You probably meant block syntax, but that is slightly different from lambdas, as you can have only one block, with that fancy pants syntax, per function call. So it is not fully apples to apples.smathy
Most people use the shorthand
-> a, b { a + b }syntax, which I think is quite pretty.JsonKody
True, sorry I have bad info - thought that Rust get it from Ruby but that
labda { ... }wrap is <not so good>JsonKody
That’s interesting… I’ve never seen that before. It’s definitely an improvement!