wolf4earth
There are a number of ways to go about building an event-driven system in Elixir and which exactly you’re using depends on the needs of the application you’re building. This thread is meant to get a “lay of the land” for which tools the community likes to reach for.
To get us started here are some options I’ve seen mentioned in the wild:
- simple & self-built on-top of
Registry: Registry — Elixir v1.21.0-dev event_bus: GitHub - otobus/event_bus: 🏄 Traceable, extendable and minimalist **event bus** implementation for Elixir with built-in **event store** and **event watcher** based on ETS. · GitHubgen_stage: GitHub - elixir-lang/gen_stage: Producer and consumer actors with back-pressure for Elixir · GitHubphoenix_pubsub: GitHub - phoenixframework/phoenix_pubsub: Distributed PubSub and Presence platform for the Phoenix Framework · GitHubbroadway(+ external producer, e.g. Postgres, RabbitMQ etc.): GitHub - elixir-broadway/broadway: Concurrent and multi-stage data ingestion and data processing with Elixir · GitHub
What is your weapon of choice and why? Are you beginning with something simple and replace it with something else when the scale demands it? How do you structure your application when building a system like this and why?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
MrDoops
“It depends.” When it comes to messaging in Elixir there’s so many ways to approach it so there’s a suite of options.
Registry/PubSub are good for transient consumers with weaker guarantees. A liveview or channel can subscribe and the pubsub semantics deliver the message but if that Liveview session gets killed / disconnected: not a big deal. So a good tool for natural OTP process <> process delivery - just
handle_infocallbacks and a simple interface for topics.Genstage/Broadway are good for high throughput data pipelines and in a classic CQRS model are usually more seen in either command handling or projection/read-model construction.
I would also look at Eventstore and some of the Commanded tooling on top. In most workflows where pubsub is used you still need a persistent model and eventstore gives you a way to persist each event and deliver to n subscribers. The persistent stream interface has more going on than Phoenix PubSub, but it lets you revive a state machine by reading past events and rebuilding state.
After you have a persistent model of some kind, you might want to push that event to a messaging system or queue like RabbitMQ/SQS/Kakfa/etc either for integration to another system or to buffer some expensive data pipeline operation. Broadway in particular builds on Genstage to provide a high level tool to control for load and throughput such as to accumulate a set of “things to insert_all” into a database and prevent overload against potential bottleneck or protected resource like your reporting database.
Finally you might have those integration events that go out to external systems - this is where something like webhooks, Kafka, RabbitMQ streams, or some kind of high throughput messaging system with pubsub semantics, good subscriber guarantees and widespread client library support is good.
So all of the above when it depends.
katafrakt
If I were to build the whole app around events and reacting to them (which is a great way to build an app!), I would probably use Commanded on top of PostgreSQL (personal preference, I don’t like Event Store).
For just having an event bus to do some things reactively (and async) – event_bus package you mentioned looks great. Although I don’t have real experience with it.
For just organizing the codebase, you can just as well use a synchronous/inline event dispatcher, as described here or (shameless plug) here.