What are your Elixir plans for 2019?

8 posts were split to a new topic: Forcing generated directories into Umbrella apps (split thread)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Forcing generated directories into Umbrella apps (split thread)

I would like to be a member of the month (or of the year) in this forum.

Member of the month is gone, instead they are awarding 50x Member of the year. Is there an actual reward for this or is it all for the prestige?

EDIT: Forgot to add my goals!

1. I will finish reading Programming Phoenix. I also aim to get through Elixir In Action. I’ve already gone through Functional Programming with Elixir (it was great!)
  2. Build and release at least ONE app/web app. I have a couple of ideas in mind
  3. Once I’m a bit more competent, I would like to contribute to one of the many open-source Elixir projects
3 Likes

Yes :023:

Every MOTM/Y gets an ebook :003:

Most people appreciate the recognition though :smiley: the book’s a bonus :lol:

2 Likes

I want to be able to get every elixir flashcard I have right without thinking by EOY.

2 Likes

Today I received my copy of Martin Fowler’s Refactoring 2nd edition and I will try to “translate” it for functional programming.

10 Likes

My goal is to finish the migration of our Hospital Information System from VB6 (yes, Visual Basic 6!) to Phoenix.

13 Likes

Plans are so vague :slight_smile: I plan to go to Lonestar ElixirConf next week and ElixirConf US in the Fall. I also think I might have something worthwhile to open source, if I can find the time to abstract and generify it properly. I’m pleased with a technique I’ve built for connecting to 3rd party json APIs. It involves a Request struct which, inspired by Plug.Conn and Ecto.Changeset, incrementally builds up the command to execute. The icing on the cake is it still lets you provide mocked responses while allowing for async tests.

9 Likes

@gregvaughn Sounds interesting + useful! Got any preliminary docs/source to share? :wink:

In 2019, I plan to deliver the post-beta v1 of a distributed web app system with the backend written entirely in Elixir and Phoenix. Managed to train + shift my team over to GraphQL successfully early this year, which really increased our velocity in predicted but still pleasantly surprising ways

4 Likes

My goal is to have loads of fun with LiveView!

eyeballs @chrismccord REALLY hard :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

This year I want to refactor that commercial freelancing elixir project for free just for the sake of fun and applying current elixir best practices.

1 Like

It’s still a work in progress in my current codebase as I separate the generic reusable parts from the application specific parts and how those should best interact at what seams. This is the first time I’ve mentioned it beyond my current team. Perhaps after Lonestar I can start an alpha-quality github project. Thanks for your interest!

3 Likes
  • Continue writing Elixir at my day job
  • Attend Lonestar 2019 + Training
  • Attend ElixirConf in Denver
  • Publish a few hex packages
1 Like

I just bought a ridiculous bell/alarm from Amazon. I think i’ll hook it to Slack or Discord and ruin someones day with a Nerves application

2 Likes

I would like to actively contribute to a elixir open source library and publish my own librarys that are on my todo list.

2 Likes

I hope I will get to travel a bit for meet ups and conferences, and do some presentations about Elixir. I hope I will get to write a bit as well. So far I have gotten a talk about my MQTT client Tortoise accepted for ElixirConf EU, and I got a handful of talk proposals in review at various conferences in Northern America and in Europe.

3 Likes

My plans:

• Read more elixir/erlang books
  • Write a new article about integrating protobufs with phoenix (the previous one is little outdated)
  • Release new major version of https://hex.pm/packages/mockery
  • Find a funny new project to contribute to
3 Likes

My plans are:

• Keep working on my elixir blog
  • Develop a web app with elixir/Phoenix
  • Finish Elixir for Programmers
  • Finish Programming Elixir
  • Learn as much as I can
2 Likes

Where is you elixir blog located ?

1 Like

Hopefully lots ahead for me :slight_smile:

• Finally release benchee 1.0 (hopefully early-ish this year)
  • after :point_up: extract 3 libraries from benchee (gathering system data, statistics calculation and the unit handling)
  • Read at least the GraphQL, Ecto and Property Based testing books
  • practice and refine my skills regarding the above
  • give a talk at an Elixir related conference or a talk about Elixir at a non Elixir conference :slight_smile: (I’m terrible with missing CFP deadlines though)
  • maybe give an Elixir workshop
  • find a job where I can do Elixir when working back end code
5 Likes