Qqwy
TypeCheck Core Team
A proper list is a list that ends in an empty list, such as:
[1, 2, 3] (which is syntactic sugar for [1 | [ 2 | [3 | [] ] ] ] )
An improper list is a list that does not end with an empty list. An example:
[1, 2 | 3] (which becomes [ 1 | [ 2 | 3 ] ] but cannot be rewritten further).
I’ve seen multiple resources (such as The wonderful Elixir in Action book and this question on StackOverflow) state that “many of the list-related functions do not work on them, but there are some cool things you can use them for.”
What cool things are hinted at? When are improper lists useful?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Deeply burried in Weird SASL lists and can I rely on Kernel.is_list? - #12 by JEG2 there is some of the cool stuff you can do mentioned and explained.
Since I’m on mobile right now I have trouble to do better linking than the hole thread…
sasajuric
I don’t recall ever using it myself. I’d say it’s rarely called for. One example that comes to mind is saving a bit of memory. A pair represented as an improper list is smaller than with tuple:
So consequently, if you need to construct a bunch of pairs, you might save 1 word per pair. Note that for larger tuples (size >= 3) this won’t hold, and improper lists will in fact consume more memory.
Another example, which is mostly interesting in Erlang is simulating lazy lists (see here, the “Infinite Lists” example).
These are the only cases I can think of, so I’d say the usage is quite limited. I’d probably consider improper list only to save memory in some special cases, but I’d need very good reasons to go down that road. Since improper list could obscure the code, by default, I’d go for plain tuples.
JEG2
Here’s a link to where the discussion turns to improper lists.