TwistingTwists
I’ve seen people use following
- Emacs
- Vim
- Spacemacs
- Onivim2
- Vscode
Vscode’s file navigation - I don’t prefer it. It is confusing.
Would love to know the pro/cons of the elixir tooling present in different editors. (Or maybe from the future prospect of features)
P S. This is not another “which editor is best debate”. Really, just which one has better tooling support for Elixir development.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
thojanssens1
I use Vscode but I really miss IntelliJ
the latter being quite expensive
cmo
Can’t you use a free version of one of the Jetbrains IDEs? Jetbrains test runners and debug are great.
I have all the all products pack which is about $150/yr(?), which is not many hours work.
Pretty much all editors have the LSP so I don’t think there are huge differences between the popular ones. If you’re old use Emacs, if you’re cool use vim, if you’re a numpty use vscode, if you are rich use Jetbrains.
Hallski
I’m a poor, occasionally old, cool and numpty person!
For Elixir I currently use VSCode as it works well enough out of the box and I use it for React due to Emacs & Vim not doing JSX+Typescript very well. (And text rendering is much better than Emacs on macOS).
If I were to work full time in Elixir I’d likely look into getting old(er) and make sure to have Emacs setup properly for it.
I use Vim for pretty much everything else (and often use it inlined in the VSCode terminal for committing and opening files outside the project)
dimitarvp
Been using Emacs for 20 years, Spacemacs for the last 2, and looking to move to NeoVim / LunarVim sometime Soon™. NeoVim is just so much faster in everything it does, I love it. Emacs / Spacemacs is sluggish and super slow at times and it gets on my nerves because I have a fairly solid workstation and literally everything else flies.
Hallski
I found Spacemacs to feel really sluggish when I last tried it, you should give Doom a shot. It’s extremely snappy in comparison (granted it was a while ago that I last tried Spacemacs so it might have improved since then).
dimitarvp
I probably should try it indeed, the question is how quickly I’d be able to get the same functionality as Spacemacs.
I’m so fed up that anything beyond 1 hour will likely put me off.
I have also seen another very promising candidate: CentaurEmacs.
Sebb
I’ve tried all but emacs and onivim. Onivim is interesting but development seems to have stopped.
Spacemacs is too crazy for me. Vscode works fine.
I’d like to try out (neo)vim again. Is it possible to just load a config and is set up for elixir development?
crova
I used to use Vim since forever and last year I moved to doom.
It is sluggish sometimes, specially with laaaaarge files, but thankfully I don’t stumble upon that many huge files to be deterrent.
I can’t really live without org anymore so I accept the sluggishness when it comes.
derek-zhou
I use terminal emacs with just elixir-mode, not the one based on language server. It is snappy even on a lame VPS.
I don’t want to be spoiled by fancy tools so I can’t be productive in a lesser environment. I figured terminal emacs with a few ELPA packages should be available anywhere.
dimitarvp
Yes, definitely. It’s just that at this point I’m so fed up that I will not even give Emacs these few other last chances.