mitkins
In the case of freelancing, I’m wondering what software/tools other developers use? I’m doing a small amount of work outside of my day job. So at the moment, I have the following requirements:
- Jobs are kept small (collaboratively) so that they can be tracked and managed easily
- These are maintained as a task list
- As these jobs are done, I’ll document how much time it took me
- At the end of the billing period, I’ll summarise these jobs in an Invoice
Hopefully, this means that there are no surprises at the end of the billing period. However, we’re just using free software to manage this (the tasks are in Notion, I use PayPal to invoice).
So I’m wondering, what tools do other developers use? Are there processes that I should think about that I’m not doing? Interested to hear your thoughts!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zorn
I recently shared how I track my billable work in Notion in this short video:
When it comes to the actual invoices, I use Wave. For some smaller amounts I take advantage of their payment capture for the invoices as well. Otherwise most clients pay me via direct bank deposit.
Hope this helps.
mitkins
Thanks for the insight! I like the deliberate framework to communicate factual information but in an informal/fun way.
Do you have a link to the blog post that’s shown in the video?
I also like the idea of the hour marker on the heading for the day. Creates structure for just enough detail - which would help me avoid going unecessary detail/overhead! Half hour granularity also sounds simple.
You mention that if the client wants more detail, you copy and paste the “standups” (either as an attachment for the invoice or into something like Slack). Do you ever share this information directly from Notion (to save time - assuming you’re happy to be that transparent with the client)?
zorn
Here is the blog post:
I don’t typically share my notion notebook pages directly but most of the content ends up in group discussions or issue tickets. I’m very transparent (also group broadcasts over DMs) by default.