BabaykaBo
Hi. I am new in Elixir. I have got to know about two file extensions for Elixir - .ex and .exs. Documentation says:
" …In addition to the Elixir file extension .ex , Elixir also supports .exs files for scripting. Elixir treats both files exactly the same way, the only difference is in intention. .ex files are meant to be compiled while .exs files are used for scripting…"
I created two files (math.ex and math.exs) with the same code:
"
defmodule Math do
def sum(a, b) do
a + b
end
end
IO.puts Math.sum(1, 2)
"
I used commands elixir and elixirc on both files, but I have received the same results:
- command
elixirccreated filesElixir.Math.beam; - command
elixirshows result in cmd;
So, I want to know if real difference between these extensions exists.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
anuaralfetahe
.exfiles compile down to beam files, which can be executed later, while.exsis compiled into memory and executed on the fly..exhas better runtime performance and it’s easier to include and load other files.When I’m writing Elixir library or application my source code is written in
.exfiles.I use
.exsfor commands, scripts, config files, test or anything else that is short lived. These files don’t have be precompiled and you can just runelixiron them.LostKobrakai
Just to make this clear. The runtime characteristics of the code do not change.
What is different is that loading/including .exs files requires additional compilation, while .beam files don‘t need that. That „performance“ difference affects only initial loading though.
BabaykaBo
Thank for your answer. Now it is more clear for me, but it is a bit weird, that I make ‘elixirc math.exs’ and also get beam file (on my opinion
)