Maartz

Maartz

Hi folks,

I’m wondering what do you use to document your Phoenix endpoints?
Is there anything that exists to be somehow connected to your views/controller and infer based on the modules used the content of the endpoint?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

sezaru

sezaru

I don’t know if I got your question right.. Do you mean your routes? Do you want a way to organize all your routes in a central manner so people can easily see all the routes and have easy access to its documentation without needing to know where to controller’s files are located?

If so, what I do is first create a pages/API.md file in the root of the project, with something like this:

# APIs

## context 1

  > [/api/v1/context_1/my_api_call](`CoreWeb.V1.Context1Controller.my_api_call/2`)
  > [/api/v1/context_1/my_other_api_call](`CoreWeb.V1.Context1Controller.my_other_api_call/2`)

Then change mix.exs with:

def project do
  ...
  docs: docs()
end

defp docs do
  [
    main: "api",
    extras: ["pages/API.md"]
  ]
end

And then, finally, at the Context1Controller file, I simply use @doc to document the functions:

  @doc """
  blablabla
  """
  def my_api_call(conn, _), do: ...

  @doc """
  blablabla
  """
  def my_other_api_call(conn, _), do: ...

This will generate a Page in Exdocs.

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Never used another tool other than Swagger. Doing it in Elixir though - in contrast with something that is statically typed - it’s a little pain in the ass to configure because we don’t have those guarantees to infer from.

webuhu

webuhu

I’m also not sure if I really understand your goal.
For API documentation I do in one of my project pass the Plug conn in every API Endpoint test to a custom Docs.WebAPI.generate_doc(conn, description) function. This function simplified formulated appends the documentation to a markdown file - also hooked then as docs - extras into the ExDocs documentation.

Means my solution is based on: github.com/api-hogs/bureaucrat

The result could be something like: developer.stadtmacherei-salzburg.at/backend/live/web_api_endpoints.html
By the way this project is nearly on ice - so if you find something totally done wrong - anyway let me know.

Maartz

Maartz OP

Well we tried something like this but it’s quite tedious as you said. And because we (at work) don’t know all the nuggets available, I prefer ask the community what they do, because it’s a fact that everybody loves to write docs :roll_eyes:

ityonemo

ityonemo

I got the ok to open source some openAPI work were doing at work; it will take an openApi (swagger) y’all and generate a router for you, so you embed your docs in the openApi format.

Maartz

Maartz OP

Yep, I’d be glad to check this out!

Maartz

Maartz OP

This looks great. Unfortunately, we’ve got not enough tests to build the doc this way. Definitely, it’ll be a goal to reach.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews