axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I’m not clear on what the best practice is for deciding what can be set from a changeset’s params vs what should be directly set in the struct. I’ve been leaning towards not allowing “important” fields, such as a user’s role (i.e. admin or member) to be set from the params since the params sometimes come directly from the client application. But this sometimes makes different parts of the application need to know how to set the user’s role before calling the changeset. Are there any established best practices (or just plain advice) that anyone can give me?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You could expose multiple changeset handling functions. One which allows (a.k.a. casts) the roles, one which doesn’t. Schema.changeset/2 is only special in that it’s used as default changeset function for cast_assoc / cast_embed, but even these can be changed.

Another option would be using custom changesets for your UI layer (embed schema or even schemaless) and convert the validated data of that changeset into the actual params to pass further down into your system.

sergio

sergio

Anything from params can be user set. So you’re correct, don’t let the user set role to anything they typed into params.

In your specific example, I would create a function that uses the put_change function to set the role and transform the changeset using pipes.

changeset = 
  |> changeset(%User{}, params)
  |> set_user_role("admin")

Repo.insert! changeset

...

def set_user_role(changeset, role) do
  put_change(changeset, :role, role)
end
axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Thanks! I like that example of set_user_role

I think I’ll go with this pattern that I copied from somewhere:

def set_role(changeset, role) do
  case changeset do
    %Ecto.Changeset{valid?: true} ->
      put_change(changeset, :role, role)
    _ -> changeset
  end
end
axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Also I’m going to se the initial role in an insert_changeset function:

def insert_changeset(struct, params) do
  struct
  |> change()
  |> set_role(:member)
  |> changeset(params)
end

This approach lets me keep validate_required[:role]) in my changeset/2 function while not allowing the role to be set directly in changeset/2.

dumadi

dumadi

what’s the best way to implement this approach for a case with different roles. Customer role, admin role and staff role for example

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

@dumadi The set_role/2 that I show above works just fine for multiple roles. If you asking about authorization then that is handled by a different part of the application since it is further reaching and shouldn’t (IMHO) be handled by individual schemas.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews