axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Is there an easy way to form a BEAM cluster with dynamic membership? Specifically I want to form the cluster from multiple instances of the same escript/program, this means that the name of each node needs to be unique, but names cannot be pre-generated. I could try to connect with sequentially increasing names, but is there an easier/better way? It seems like I could use GitHub - bitwalker/libcluster: Automatic cluster formation/healing for Elixir applications · GitHub but I don’t see a Cluster.Strategy that seems appropriate

Showing Posts 1 to 3

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Okay, I’ve come up with this little snippet. Is there anything that could be improved with it?

  def start_node(number) when number > 20, do: raise "Too many instances found"
  def start_node(number \\ 0) do
    node_name = node_name(number)

    case Node.start(node_name, :shortnames) do
      {:error, _error} ->
        start_node(number + 1)

      {:ok, _pid} ->
        IO.puts("Started node with name #{inspect(node_name)}")
        Node.set_cookie(node_name, :cookie)

        for num <- Range.new(0, number) do
          Node.connect(node_name)
        end
    end
  end

  def node_name(number) do
    {:ok, hostname} = :inet.gethostname()

    "elixirls-#{number}@#{hostname}"
    |> String.to_atom()
  end

Edit: added a max number

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

From what I remember, PragDave suggests the usage of long names instead of short names for nodes. Unless this is strictly for a local machine, I would go the extra mile and use long names because this way your code will work across different machines.

Another thing I noticed is the usage of String.to_atom. Depending on your use case, you may want to consider the usage of String.to_existing_atom (Converting strings to atoms safely - Today I Learned)

Thus far, these are the only 2 things I can think about. YMMV but I hope these ideas are of some use to you.

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

This is only for a local machine, so I think short names should be fine, in fact if I could I would ignore the hostname completely in this code. Also Node.start/3 and Node.connect/1 both only accept atoms so the only way that I see to avoid String.to_atom/1 is to pregenerate a set number of node names. Which could be a good idea, but if I were to do that I’d prefer to instead just limit the number that start_node will recurse to, a max of 20 would probably be a good idea.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews