What is phantomjs --wd command alternative for slimerjs?

Copied from my Stackoverflow question:

I was using Phantomjs with Phoenix framework for test, and the package I use in phoenix is hound. I previously installed phantomjs with apt-get which was giving problems (this github comment said the installation method was the culprit), so I downloaded the latest binary from the official website but that was giving permissions denied error, so I had to build it from the source, but to my surprise the build.py which is mentioned in the official guide wasn’t avaialble, so I even failed to build it that way. I also failed to install through npm, so I gave up on phantomjs.

Now I installed slimerjs, but I don’t know what is slimerjs’s alternative command to phantomjs --wd.

You can also use chrome-driver with hound. I won’t call it a truly headless experience, as it will show you a blink of the webpage, but it works.
You have to follow the following steps.

1. Download chrome driver.
  2. Run it. (through terminal, or just double click it)
  3. change config :hound, driver: "phantomjs" to config :hound, driver: "chrome_driver" in your config/test.exs.

done.

2 Likes

Yes, chrome driver shows Chrome browser for a moment which is annoying, but it’s OK, because I can continue learning Phoenix. :slight_smile:

Thank You!

Today I made phantomjs work by installing it through npm with the command sudo npm install -g phantomjs-prebuilt --unsafe-perm=true --allow-root (as it was getting failed with sudo npm install -g phantomjs-prebuilt).

Using chrome driver was a pain, as it was showing a blink of the page for every single acceptance test, and was slow if you had more than a few tests.

I rushed to the Forum to share it with others, thinking it may be beneficial to others facing the same problem.

2 Likes