mercyf

mercyf

What is the benefit of using the Ash Framework? Why can’t one just use Phoenix or Phoenix LiveView?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

cmo

cmo

You would generally use it with Phoenix and LiveView, not instead of. It takes care of a lot of the common application requirements (auth, notifications etc) through a declarative DSL.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

We have some documentation along these lines here: What is Ash? — ash v3.29.3

And this thread has a lot of various takes on Ash, started by someone who decided (or was considering the decision) on not using it: My thoughts on Ash

mike1o1

mike1o1

You can think of Ash as a way to build up the contexts that you then use with Phoenix or LiveView. Ash doesn’t replace Phoenix, it works alongside it.

So if you’re building a todo app, for example, you might have a traditional Phoenix context like this:

defmodule MyApp.Todos do
  import Eco.Query

  alias MyApp.Todos.TodoList

  def get_todos(user_id) do
    from(t in TodoList, where tl.user_id == ^user_id)
    |> Repo.all()
  end

  def create_todo(user_id, params)
    # ...
  end

  def create_todo_changeset(params)
    # ...
  end

  def delete_todo(id)
    # ...
  end

  # a ton of other methods that build up over time
  # such as maybe you want to filter by date, or status, etc.
end

And then in your LiveView, you’d call into MyApp.Todos.get_todos somewhere in your assigns.

Well, wish Ash, you’d just model that resource, and let Ash derive all those context functions for you.

defmodule MyApp.Todos.TodoList
  actions do
    defaults [:read, :update, :create, :destroy]
    default_accepts [:title, :description]
  end

  # attributes, etc.
end

Then you’d define your domain

defmodule MyApp.Todos
  resources do
    resource MyApp.Todos.TodoList
      define :create_list, action: :create
      define :get_todos, action: :read
      define :get_todo, action: :read, get_by: :id
    end
  end
end

Then Ash sets up all those actions/functions for you. You’d then call that instead of your context when setting up your assigns:

{:ok, socket |> assign(:todo_lists, MyApp.Todos.get_todos()}

It’s extremely powerful, because those read functions, for example, automatically provide support for filtering, authentication, sorting, etc. All things you’d need to build up manually by hand in your Phoenix context.

It does take some time for it to click, but I find that once you do, it can be extremely productive to start using.

julienmarie

julienmarie

My favourite thing in Ash ( and especially in Spark ) are the possibilities of Introspection.
Building extensions in Ash is great and I’m basically creating a suite of extension to integrate Commanded and generate our backoffice directly from my resources.
The whole DSL / Transformer / Verifiers / Info structure is great once you start understanding how it works. I think Spark is the jewel of the whole thing.

mercyf

mercyf OP

Thanks for all the replies!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews