rogach

rogach

I’m trying to use hot code reloading in my app. The app in question is deployed using mix releases.

As I understand it, there was once a project called Distillery, but it is now dead - most of functionality was merged into mix release. Howerver, the hot code reloading support didn’t survive the migration - according to the docs Distillery was capable of generating appup files, but now I failed to find any tools that could do anything like that. Seems that the only remaining route is to write the appups myself.

Are there any known tools that simplify the task of writing appup files? Or does everyone write the appup files by hand?

P.S. By the way, I’ve read about and am aware of many issues and pitfalls that await unlucky souls that are going down the hot code reload path. But in my particular case, the application is maintaining a significant number of stateful connections, and it will be very nice if these connections can be preserved, if possible. And the upgrades aren’t expected to be very difficult - most of the processes are using GenServers, state is kept in maps, etc.
I understand that many suggest using blue/green deployments and docker and whatever, but I think that there’s some middle ground to be had - I can always go the blue/green road if some particular upgrade is difficult to do with hot reloading, but in most of simpler cases I can save lots of pain by simply loading the updated modules.
As someone said, “there’s a distinction between relying on hot deploys and simply enjoying them”.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ausimian

ausimian

There is castle previously announced here. It does integrate with mix releases, but does not do appup generation.

rogach

rogach OP

I saw castle. However, I was a bit worried that it’s unmaintained - it has only a brief surge of commits for a week after its inception, and then nothing.

rogach

rogach OP

In the end I decided to skip the castle - just inserted an additional step intomix release and used :release_handler directly.

However, castle code was very useful for understanding what tweaks were needed - thanks for releasing it!

shankardevy

shankardevy

@rogach can you please share your config ? I might need it as well for one of my projects and would like to see your implementation. Thanks

rogach

rogach OP

Here’s what I ended up with: How to: Tweak mix release to work with hot code reloading

Don’t hesitate to ask questions if I forgot to detail something :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews