magosi
Hi. I am busy working through this book: https://shankardevy.com/phoenix-inside-out-mpf/
It implements an online store by means of TDD in Phoenix. I am confused, however, as the author of this book only uses acceptance tests (via Hound) and unit tests. In the book, Programming Phoenix, the author used integration and unit tests only. Comparing the integration tests from Programming Phoenix with the acceptance tests from this book, it seems they basically test the same thing. What is the difference between them. How do you write integration and acceptance tests without repeating what is being tested?
Any help, advice and resources will be appreciated. I am somewhat new to the world of TDD and best practices regarding testing.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ityonemo
Colloquially, (and probably in most applications) they’re often the same.
Technically, acceptance tests have to do with engineering specs - does the spec that you’re sending to your end user match the actual behavior of the system.
Integration tests are any collection of tests that cross coding boundaries. Acceptance tests are almost always a strict subset of Integration tests.
“If it hits the database it’s an integration test”. “If it goes over the network it’s an integration test”
Honestly, if you do it right elixir database tests are so fast that I typically lump them in with the unit tests (as a matter of code organization in directory structure, I label fast tests as ‘unit’ vs slow ‘integration’ tests). This is sloppy, but nobody bats an eye.
Happy to be corrected and learn if someone else has a different view of this!
Vesuvium
Integration tests pertain to a single code base and check whether modules work when they are combined together. They are written by the same engineers that write the code base.
Acceptance tests are about the entire product and mimic the actions of an user (good or bad). They are written and run by another team, usually.