mcgingras

mcgingras

Hello all,

I’ve been reading about metaprogramming and encountered examples that look like the following:
defmodule example(example_param, do: block)

I haven’t encountered syntax with the do param like that before, and I’ve been confused how that works. I have not been able to find much in the way of documentation since quite honestly I’m not even sure what to search for.

How does the caller pass the “block” to the function? What is this sort of syntax called?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

It’s nothing but the keyword list with key :do. The equivalent would be:
defmodule example(example_param, [{:do, block}])

And usually inside the macro you unquote the block.

if the last argument of a call is a keyword list then the square brackets can be skipped

See keywords as last arguments, followed by the section about do/end blocks

The other thing is elixir’s tokenizer treats do/end as an “expression” where end is a terminal “end of expression”.

Eiji

Eiji

@mcgingras If you do not understand some syntax you should check Syntax reference special documentation page.

Regarding your questions you should be especially interested in those sections:

Syntactic sugar

All of the constructs above are part of Elixir’s syntax and have their own representation as part of the Elixir AST. This section will discuss the remaining constructs that “desugar” to one of the constructs explored above. In other words, the constructs below can be represented in more than one way in your Elixir code and retain AST equivalence.

Source: Syntax reference — Elixir v1.20.2

Keywords

Keywords in Elixir are a list of tuples of two elements where the first element is an atom. Using the base constructs, they would be represented as:

[{:foo, 1}, {:bar, 2}]

However Elixir introduces a syntax sugar where the keywords above may be written as follows:

[foo: 1, bar: 2]

Source: Syntax reference — Elixir v1.20.2

Keywords as last arguments

Elixir also supports a syntax where if the last argument of a call is a keyword list then the square brackets can be skipped. This means that the following:

if(condition, do: this, else: that)

is the same as

if(condition, [do: this, else: that])

which in turn is the same as

if(condition, [{:do, this}, {:else, that}])

Source: Syntax reference — Elixir v1.20.2

do/end blocks

The last syntax convenience are do/end blocks. do/end blocks are equivalent to keywords as the last argument of a function call where the block contents are wrapped in parentheses. For example:

if true do
  this
else
  that
end

is the same as:

if(true, do: (this), else: (that))

Source: Syntax reference — Elixir v1.20.2

mcgingras

mcgingras OP

Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to search within the reference material. “Keywords as last arguments” is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much for the help.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews