Zesky665

Zesky665

Hi,

I’m going through the examples on the drab page. In the ‘chat example’ section, in the code example.

defhandler update_chat(socket, sender) do
  nick = get_store(socket, :nickname, "Anonymous")
  html = ~E"<strong><%= nick %>:</strong> <%= message %><br>" |> safe_to_string()
  broadcast_insert socket, "#chat", :beforeend, html
  set_prop socket, this(sender), value: ""
  broadcast_js socket, "document.querySelector('#chat').scrollTop = 
  document.querySelector('#chat').scrollHeight"`
end  

On the third line, the one with html, a sigil ~E is used. I don’t know what this does, and it doesn’t show up in the elixir docs or in the page source code. Anyone know what this is?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

yurko

yurko

That comes from Phoenix HTML package: “Provides ~E sigil with HTML safe EEx syntax inside source files”.

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

It is important to use safe when you build html from the outside source, like inputs. Future versions of Drab will take safe directly, so you’ll not have to add safe_to_string/1.

marat

marat

Trying chat example as well.
Getting
page_commander.ex:13: undefined function safe_to_string/1

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Do

import Phoenix.HTML

in the commander, or just call Phoenix.HTML.safe_to_string directly.

marat

marat

Tried to call module.function, that gave page_commander.ex:14: undefined function sigil_E/2.
Now,
page_commander.ex:16: undefined function message/0

it’s the 3rd line in

  defhandler update_chat(socket, sender) do
    nick = get_store(socket, :nickname, "Anonymous")
    html = ~E"<strong><%= nick %>:</strong> <%= message %><br>" |> safe_to_string()
Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

You need to define message within the function. It’s currently not defined and the program assumes its some undefined function.

What I did was get the message value from the sender.

message = sender["value"] 

Or something similar, I’ll post the actual code when I get the chance.

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Yes, I made a mistake when copying the code to the html, will be added soon.
message = sender["value"] is correct.

marat

marat

Yes, this works:

  defhandler update_chat(socket, sender) do
    nick = get_store(socket, :nickname, "Anonymous")
    message = sender["value"]
    html = ~E"<strong><%= nick %>:</strong> <%= message %><br>" |> safe_to_string()
...
marat

marat

@grych another issue with chat:

defmodule AppWeb.PageCommander do
  use Drab.Commander #, modules: [Drab.Presence]
  import Phoenix.HTML
  import Drab.Presence

gives error:

** (CompileError) lib/olist_no_brunch_web/commanders/page_commander.ex:4: module Drab.Presence is not loaded and could not be found
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:677: :erl_eval.do_apply/6

I have in config:

config :drab, :default_modules, [Drab.Live, Drab.Element, Drab.Waiter, Drab.Modal, Drab.Presence]
config :drab, :presence, id: [store: :nickname, session: :nickname] 
config :drab, :presence, endpoint: AppWeb.Endpoint

and still no luck :((

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Which version of Drab do you have?

Try to:

  1. remove import Drab.Presence from the commander, it is not needed.
  2. remove Drab.Presence from default modules
  3. do mix clean

You may always take a look on the Drab Examples Page source to find out how it is done.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews