ayrdim
What is the Elixir way of decoding/parsing binary data?
I’m currently using the pattern matching (E.g. for a float <flt::float> = <<63, 243, 190, 118, 200, 180, 57, 88>>) to decode/parse bytes, is this the only way to decode/parse binary data? Ideally I would prefer to call a function that takes in bytes and returns the decoded value.
My intuition tells me that Float.parse() and Integer.parse() should perform the same conversion as the example above but they seem to only parse strings.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ChrisYammine
Does this do what you need? erlang — OTP 29.0.2 (erts 17.0.2)
ayrdim
Hey Chris, Thanks for the reply! I’ve given that a try and it still seems to also only parse/decode the string representations of floats. I am more after something that will take in some bytes that are in ieee floating point format and return a float
ChrisYammine
Looking at the docs for
<<>>/1I’m surprised what you have in your example doesn’t workIf you try to inspect
fltit just prints out the bitstring?Edit: sorry I didn’t read properly – your example works you’re just asking if there are alternatives! Not to my knowledge
D4no0
I am not sure why you would want an alternative to binary pattern match, if you read the documentation it has the possibility to decode pretty much you can think of.
adamu
You can easily wrap it in a function:
Here’s a version that just parses a float from the front and returns the rest of the binary:
ayrdim
I guess I also asked the question partly due to a bit of curiosity/confusion as there are standard decode/parsing functions for things such as strings (i.e. Integer.parse(string), Float.parse(string)), however there didnt really seem to be a set of consistent function that did this for bytes - I could only find :binary.decode_unsigned(bytes)
ayrdim
Looks like pattern matching is the go to way of decoding bytes/bits - Using it like this meets my use case (cant believe I didn’t think of this). Thanks!
D4no0
Once you get the hangs on how to use binary pattern match, you will not want to go back to do this with functions, as it is cleaner, less code and much more readable.
axelson
This is one of my favorite articles about binary pattern matching in Elixir, it’s really neat how they apply binary pattern matching to the task of parsing a PNG:
trarbr
One of the great things about binary pattern matching is that it allows you to decode multiple values (which can be of different type) from a binary in one go. I just gave a talk at FOSDEM that is an introduction to bit syntax (which powers the binary pattern matching). The talk goes through all the basics and has a couple of examples after the 15-minute mark that show how bit syntax can be used to decode multiple different values at once. The talk is available here - maybe it is useful.
And if you need to wrap it in a function, e.g. for use with pipes, @adamu’s approach is definitely valid.