lorefnon

lorefnon

OCaml provides a facility to parameterize modules (modules which accept other modules as arguments) through functors (this is different from functor algebraic data type).

Example:

module Increment (M : X_int) : X_int = struct
    let x = M.x + 1
  end;;

I am curious if there is a popular idiom similar to this in elixir, where a module can depend on multiple other modules, which can be swapped in later (potentially with different module arguments) to get composite modules.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

idi527

idi527

What do you mean by module arguments? And how a module would depend on other modules, through a use macro? You can probably define a protocol to which your module implementations would adhere, but that would only provide some kind of polymorphism so that conforming modules could be “swapped in later” …

lorefnon

lorefnon OP

What do you mean by module arguments?
And how a module would depend on other modules, through a use macro?

Module X depends on Module Y and uses functions exposed in module Y. However when I define module X I don’t specify what that module Y is, rather it is an argument.

Later I can pass a compatible implementation of Y, say Y1 to X as a parameter and get a module X1 which uses Y1.

This article by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer explains it in much more detail.

You can probably define a protocol 1 to which your module implementations would adhere, but that would only provide some kind of polymorphism so that conforming modules could be “swapped in later” …

Yes, I understand that protocols are the primary solution for polymorphism in elixir.

Parameterised modules are somewhat more generic given that it does not necessarily have to resolve the implementation based on the signature of a struct. The consumer of the generic module is free to pass in any compatible module and the implementation will use that.

idi527

idi527

I meant what do you mean by that in terms of elixir. Do you define module dependencies using some macro? I’m not aware of any support for it in the language itself.

NobbZ

NobbZ

The more idiomatic way is to pass in the “compatible” module as an argument to Xs functions.

lorefnon

lorefnon OP

Oh ok. I didn’t realize elixir modules were first class values. Thanks.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Modulenames are just atoms. This is what makes this possible.

mbuhot

mbuhot

There is an idiom used when a library defines a module that must be instantiated by the application that uses it, along with some configuration.

Ecto.Repo is an example:

defmodule MyApp.Repo
  use Ecto.Repo, otp_app: MyApp
end

The otp_app keyword argument allows Ecto.Repo to lookup the remaining configuration with Application.get_env(app, __MODULE__)

In simpler cases the config can be passed directly into use.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can pass module atom names around all you want and call them directly, so yes. (The OCaml Witness Pattern via First-Class modules)

If however you are refining a module based on another module (a limited form of OCaml Functors), Elixir/Erlang does have first-class support for that currently in the form of tuple-calls, however that feature is being broken soon much to my irritance… >.>

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

What are tuple calls?

peerreynders

peerreynders

Tuple Calls - #16 by josevalim

For all purposes, it is an undocumented feature and it may be removed from Erlang anytime.

Tuple calls are already disabled by default on Erlang/OTP 21 and they explicitly require a @compile option on every module that needs them.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews