What is the library's (soft) position on pluralization of context and table name spacing?

So I’m teaching someone to use phoenix and I’m noticing a few different ways the gen tasks talk about context/modules/tables and I wanted to know what the official suggested pattern is for developers regarding pluralization and name spacing:

(I realize this is largely “do what you feel makes sense”)

mix phx.gen.context — Phoenix v1.7.10, mix phx.gen.auth — Phoenix v1.7.10, mix phx.gen.html — Phoenix v1.7.10, mix phx.gen.json — Phoenix v1.7.10, mix phx.gen.live — Phoenix v1.7.10, mix phx.gen.notifier — Phoenix v1.7.10

mix phx.gen.context Accounts User users
mix phx.gen.auth Accounts User users
  • plural context module
  • singular schema module
  • non-namespaced plural table

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Mix.Tasks.Phx.Gen.Auth.html#module-multiple-invocations

mix phx.gen.auth Store User users
mix phx.gen.auth Backoffice Admin admins
  • singular context module
  • singular schema module
  • non-namespaced plural table

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Mix.Tasks.Phx.Gen.Embedded.html

mix phx.gen.embedded Blog.Post title:string views:integer
  • Singular context and schema module, joined by “.”
  • No table name (makes sense)

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Mix.Tasks.Phx.Gen.Schema.html

mix phx.gen.schema Blog.Post blog_posts title:string views:integer
  • Joining context and schema module name, both singular
  • Table name is plural but namespaced by context

But also on the same page:

mix phx.gen.schema Accounts.Superhero superheroes secret_identity:redact password:string:redact
  • Same as above, but the context is plural
  • Same as above but the table name isn’t namespaced

My feeling after considering all your examples is that we can retain the following essential points:

• Database tables are always named in the plural form.
  • Schema modules are always named in the singular.
  • Context modules can be named in either singular or plural, but there is always a hint of plurality related to the entity that the schema represents lurking underneath.

What I mean in the last point, I will try to show with your examples.

mix phx.gen.auth Store User users
mix phx.gen.auth Backoffice Admin admins

A single store is enough to manage all users. If the context was about managing multiple stores, we could name it in the plural form of store: Stores. The same goes for Backoffice.

I think we can also say the same thing about a context named Blog. The notion of plurality here is that a Blog is the space where we can manage all blog posts. We could have also called it Posts, but it feels to me, less inspired or appealing. ^^

Regarding your other concern, about adding the context namespace to the schema and table, I think it’s just to avoid name overlaps for tables and schemas.

The blog_posts is a good example, as we can integrate a blog into almost any website. So if we want to import a generic blog application into an existing web project, it’s possible that the said project already has a migration posts table for something else.

Of course, this is only my opinion and as you so aptly put it:

2 Likes

Basically what @Kurisu said.

The name of the context depends on what you want it to do. Like have a small blog app (that I don’t use, lol) that looks like this:

Blog

This is because I only have one blog. If I had a bigger application where users could create many blogs, then I likely have something that looks like this:

Blogs
  Blog

Draft

There are no hard and fast rules, the generators are more for learning and not really meant to be used forever.

And ya, again just re-enforcing what @Kurisu said, namespace your tables if you think it’s going to be a problem otherwise it doesn’t really matter. Ecto Schema names have no magical relation to their table names like it is in some ORMs.

1 Like

I want to point out that plural names for database tables are wildly used, but can be cumbersome to deal with when used with irregular plurals.

For instance, if you have a libraries table, a search for library in your codebase will not match.

You also need your colleagues to be familiar with English plural forms, maybe not that obvious for non-native English speakers.

I’m coming to phoenix from an SQL first approach, which served me well till now. I use the singular name table convention and I love it.

Here is the resource where I first encounter this convention.

The opposite take on this (:roll_eyes:):
https://medium.com/@fbnlsr/the-table-naming-dilemma-singular-vs-plural-dc260d90aaff

I’m just learning ecto and I wonder if something will be generated from the table name and if it expects them to be plurals?