elt547

elt547

I have a struct representing a session request with only two fields, email and bytes. Basically the struct should either be passed around as immutable or created with a default value as a function return value. I have a function random_bytes which I want to be the default value of bytes.

Since you can’t declare it like this:
defstruct [:email, bytes: random_bytes()]

Someone suggested making a “new” function:

def new(email) do
  %__MODULE__{email: email, bytes: random_bytes()}
end

But to me this feels very non-idiomatic. It feels like shoehorning an object oriented pattern into a functional language.

What is the best way to build a strict with a complex default value in elixir?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

why not add another function to handle that?

def with_random_bytes(%Email{} = email) do
  Map.put(email, :bytes, random_bytes())
end

Then in your context or anywhere else you need it can always just call it like:

%Email{}
|> Email.with_random_bytes()
|> ...
elt547

elt547 OP

Email is a string value, not a struct. How would you do it in this case?

zachallaun

zachallaun

There’s no difference, really.

def with_random_bytes(struct) do
  Map.put(struct, :bytes, random_bytes()
end

…

%MyStruct{email: email}
|> MyStruct.with_random_bytes()

However, I think new is the way to go. Don’t overcomplicate things. Document that new structs should be created using the initializer in order to set dynamic defaults.

msimonborg

msimonborg

Are Map.new, Range.new, and MapSet.new non-idiomatic? :slight_smile:

100% agree, Session.new(email) or Session.new(opts) with documentation feels right IMO.

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

I would do it like this to be able to have a default if not passed:

def new(attrs) do
  with %{bytes: nil} = struct <- struct(__MODULE__, attrs) do
    %{struct | bytes: random_bytes()}
  end
end

This way if you pass bytes in it will use whatever bytes you set, however if not set, we can generate it. You can “mimic” the default value.


iex(1)> MyModule.new(%{email: "hello@world.com"})
%MyModule{email: "hello@world.com", bytes: "fjhdsjhkhd23ddw3er"}

iex(2)> MyModule.new(%{email: "hello@world.com", bytes: "123abc"})
%MyModule{email: "hello@world.com", bytes: "123abc"}
elt547

elt547 OP

Thank you, I like this option. Another question, is it idiomatic to use __MODULE__ when accessing the current module name in order to avoid aliasing the module from within itself?

linusdm

linusdm

It certainly is! I do it all the time :upside_down_face:

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

I see it as a personal preference thing. I usually alias the module I am in at the top and use that across the module.
In your case I did not know what your module was called, so i just used that for the example.

I like the Modules name mostly because in code reviews it reads easier to me

elt547

elt547 OP

I just noticed something else I’m not sure of. Are you able to explain the %{bytes: nil} = struct part? It looks like I’m pattern marching against something that does not exist. Is there something special about how the with statement works in this case?

Does it have something to do with the ← in the with statement? Is it similar to what ← does in a comprehension?

Sorry I’m not familiar with “with” statements, watching a video on them now!

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

Sure no problem,

I pattern match “after” I create the struct because I know the struct has that key always present in atom format. So the with tries to match the struct with a nil for :bytes, if it does match, then i return an updated version with the struct (This is why i do the = struct to be able to grab the struct in order to update/return it in the do block). However, If it does not match, withs without an else automatically return the result; which in our case is the struct

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews