vonH
What libraries do Elixir and Erlang use for web development with CGI and FastCGI?
If you wish to know it is for shared hosting services which use CGI and FastCGI. VPSs and dedicated servers are not in use here.
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
You could probably make a simple escript to act as a FastCGI endpoint (I’d not recommend CGI as it would reload the BEAM VM on every-single-request). The spec is certainly simple enough that libraries are not really needed at all.
But why though? You will be losing out on a huge amount of features and speed by doing that… o.O
vonH
I want to get back to basics in a lot of my programming stuff. It is not for production usage. Over the years I have done to many things at a high level without being familiar with the basics and I want to get back to them.
Do you know of any general guides I can use to learn CGI or FastCGI, like a simple script in bash or python that I can use to check what parameters are sent to the script and echo them back as the response?
benwilson512
Are you trying to use Elixir or Erlang at all?
OvermindDL1
Well ex_fcgi seems like a basic erlang fastcgi client library , maybe start with that?
EDIT: For note, CGI/FastCGI is so ancient that even the official spec website appears offline: http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fcgi-spec.html >.>
vonH
It is Elixir I am using, but I have to learn how to link it to
ex_fcgivonH
People don’t hold domain names for that long, there are copies at Github and MitEdu at least they should be there until Github expires or the owners delete them.
vonH
Is
ex_fcgithe script that the server dispatches the request to, or does it have to be linked into the escript that I will be developing?peerreynders
I don’t think it’s “server-side” at all
i.e. it sounds like it simply enables Erlang to talk to a FastCGI server.
benwilson512
I completely understand this motivation. However, I’m unclear on why cgi or fast_cgi are seen as the basics. They’re older, that’s for sure, but they aren’t particularly basic or fundamental to web interactions. They certainly don’t form the basics that underly how something like Erlang works.
OvermindDL1
That is server-side though. A FastCGI Client is a program that talks over stdin/stdout and a passed socket from a FastCGI server (think nginx or apache).