adamu
When starting a new project, do you have any go-to libraries you pull in out of habit/preference?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cmo
CompareChain!
shahryarjb
Mishka Chelekom, igniter, Ash
vanderhoop
freedom_formatter, ecto_dev_logger, mix_test_interactive
sodapopcan
If you aren’t Ash’ing then Flop along with Flop.Phoenix along with Let Me covers all of pagination/filtering/sorting/authz in a pretty nice way. Ash was, in part, born out of not having these basic necessities but if you aren’t going to use Ash (which is of course totally fine) then these help a lot (and play nicely together). I really don’t like to ping but these libs are all by @woylie who has another very helpful one in ecto_nested_changeset. Really, I wish Phoenix had out-of-the-box solutions for all of these thing, even just as generators (a la phx_gen_auth) as it’s all stuff every project needs.
There’s also Sobelow.
To be a little catty and flip the question, I intentionally shun any type of “helper” libraries (I’ll pick on Moar as an example) and argue loudly against them in a team situation. At best they are unnecessary.
camatcode
Quokka for formatting,
Faker for fuzzing test data.
Keep it lightweight is my usual advice.
odd
Here’s my list off the top of my head.
For application code
Flop
Oban
Req
TypedEctoSchema
Formatting / tools etc
BlitzCredoChecks
Credo
CredoContrib
CredoNaming
Dialyxir
Sobelow
Testing
mix test.interactive
PhoenixTest
woylie
For virtually every application:
The rest depends on the need of the application.
eahanson
I’m a co-author of Moar and I agree with your statement
… check out the very first line in its readme:
The library was extracted from a bunch of code that I copied and pasted between projects (I’ve built 20+ Phoenix projects by now) and putting it in a public library is the easiest way to reuse it.
Moar and similar libraries probably have at least a few functions that are useful for others, so I’d recommend perusing the docs to see if anything jumps out at you, and then consider copying that code (and modifying it as needed), or adding the library to your project (Moar is dependency-free, and I assume most other utility libraries are). Moar’s docs have a short list of other utility libraries; if you are the author of such a library, feel free to add it to Moar’s docs.
eahanson
Besides Moar (see above), I add these libraries to all my projects (I’m an author of some of them):
hangyas
I like to avoid dependencies whenever I can, there is only one I’d add without much thinking:
Timex
On more serious projects:
Mox
ExMachina
Credo
Dialyxir