What mouse do you use?

Another vote for the MX Master here. Very happy with it.

1 Like

I exclusively use my Bluetooth trackpad at work and trackpad on my personal MacBook. I canā€™t imagine ever buying anything else.

I use the cheapo $10 CDN Logitech USB wired mouse. Best mouse ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

1 Like

100% the Anker mouses are excellent. I prefer their other vertical style, but have used this one.

1 Like

Been using razer deathadder for many years. I use claw grip.

1 Like

I do the same thing

Unfortunately I think Iā€™d need hands that made an NBA players look small to use my thumb on the trackpad without leaving the keyboard. :smiley: I have to lift all but my pointer just to get my thumb to reach the top corner thumb cluster button.

Yeah I switched to this and its great. I canā€™t stretch my thumb without leaving the home row and coming half-way off the keyboard, but it saves a little movement. Doesnā€™t seem worth it though to train my thumb, Iā€™m just using my finger.

1 Like

I mostly use the trackpad for gestures these days so I typically need more than one finger on it at the same time anyhow so definitely not putting me out. Feels more like my laptop setup as well. I tried off to the side for a while and just found myself reaching up to use my laptop trackpad most of the time.

Mine and my wifeā€™s mice, though each are colored differently for their lighting:

I use the sculpt mouse and it is one of the most comfortable mice Iā€™ve ever used, never had any pain while using it. For gaming I use the Corsair M65 Pro Rgb.

Iā€™ve been really tempted to try a trackball one but Iā€™m very undecided between the Logitech M570 and the Kensington Orbit. Any suggestions? Anyone using the Orbit?

On my desktop I use the Logitech G305, and thereā€™s no perceptable lag like there is with some older mice. Itā€™s light and the battery lasts for ages. If itā€™s the right kind of shape for your hand/grip-style, Iā€™d heartily recommend it.

Itā€™s the first wireless mouse Iā€™ve been happy to use for action games, including Quake Champions. I havenā€™t played for a few months, but I have a ā€œfingertipā€ grip and like playing as Slash. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mention both (Iā€™ve used a precursor of the M570 at work):

Personally Iā€™d choose the Orbit over the M570 but ultimately prefer the Trackman Marble Trackball; as in all things - YMMV.

The Trackman Marble FX was great as well but was discontinued.

If I felt adventurous Iā€™d be inclined to look at ELECOM M-HT1URBK, ELECOM Trackball Mouse M-DPT1MRXBK, ELECOM M-DT2DRBK etc.

I use Microsoft Basic Mouse v 2.0 1113, wired optical mouse, and I love it. Itā€™s simple but very precise. When I move cursor on the screen, it feels like Iā€™m moving my finger on the screen.

Anybody tried this one?

I use this too (Logitech M570). Cheap but solid build quality, decent ergonomics. Most importantly, its ubiquitous and I can pick up another one literally anywhere, so I donā€™t have to adjust to something else if I forget it when travelling or lose the usb nub. To use the infra metaphor, my mice are cattle rather than pets.

1 Like

A Logitech trackball is what I use with my favorite laptop.

On my company desktop, I use an old, nondescript Dell wired mouse. It was from one or two computers back. When I got a new PC, the mouse was garbage so I kept my old one.

1 Like

That mouse hasnā€™t been available at office when I was testing the mice. And at home, Iā€™ll never get rid of my loved wire as long as the children are in this age of hiding everything :wink: I do not want to share my wifes destiny and search for the mouse every other day :wink:

1 Like

Thank you,
The trackman looks interesting but Iā€™ve seen someone talking about it saying it has no scroll wheelā€¦ that would be a bit of nuisance for me I guess.
I didnā€™t know about the Elecom, I will have a look at them later so thanks :slight_smile:
With the orbit, the only thing that worries me is the wrist position: wouldnā€™t holding your hand horizontally as for a normal mouse still cause pronation issues?

It doesnā€™t - people who feel they need it typically add it with supplementary software (alternate).

ā€œMouse wheelsā€ became a thing when Microsoft made them popular in 1996 with the intellimouse explorer by which point in time Iā€™ve been using Logitech three button mice for years (C7 (1985), S9 (1989), MouseMan (1990)) and its emergence was a non-event for me personally.

The appearance the scroll wheel likely hampered further evolution of the UX of the scrollbar - so I saw it as a mechanical hack for a problem of a different nature (scroll arrow position).
temp
Now scroll arrows have become obsolete (scroll thumbs hide in the shadows) and scrolling horizontally is strongly discouraged; is that always a good thing? I donā€™t know.

wouldnā€™t holding your hand horizontally as for a normal mouse still cause pronation issues?

You are not holding your hand horizontally as you would with a mouse - the mouse has to move, while trackball by design doesnā€™t (which also makes it easier to find on the desk when you are not looking because it isnā€™t going anywhere).

So your wrist rests on the desk while your fingers manipulate the trackball (clicking the primary button is an easy task for a thumb).

Nevertheless the transition from mouse to trackball can be quite an ordeal for some people. I donā€™t know anybody who successfully migrated gradually - cold turkey seems to be the only way that works. Lock that mouse/trackpad away and throw away the key. Some are fortunate enough to get through it in half a day, others need 3-4 days. In my experience most people who get to the other side donā€™t want to go back.

1 Like