What other languages interest you?

Currently I’m in erlang, Haskell, Java, C, and of course Elixir, while I do
enjoy Erlang and Elixir the most.

Nov 15, 2016: I just got interested in Purescript.

Links (alphabetical order):

1 Like

some interest in F# since my work is a Windows shop and our application tier is .Net… but I find it hard to embrace Windows development being a hardcore Linux guy. I know .Net is xplatform now but most of the tooling and all of my company workstations are Windows so it’s moot.

Golang - was getting started on that but have since been a little turned off. The community spends so much time arguing about what is “idiomatic Go” that I think they are stifling package development.

Elm/Purescript - functional in the browser is interesting to me. I tend to avoid front end stuff, though, so I haven’t really pursued this much.

Javascript/NodeJS - I don’t love the single event loop of JS but how can you not be impressed by the sheer breadth of packages and tooling for server side JS?

1 Like

Javascript (React, Redux, GraphQL)
Elm
Go

1 Like

Languages: Ruby (also in JRuby sauce), Crystal, Javascript, Elixir, Java, Pascal.
Frameworks: AngularJS, Ionic, Phoenix, Rails.

1 Like

I’ve heard about React. What is it exactly?

1 Like

After I have a good grasp of Elixir I’ve been thinking into getting into one of the following languages:

Haskell (had one semester of it at university and loved it)
Scala
Elm
Kotlin

1 Like

Elm Elm Elm! @sashaafm At least, that is the language I am going to learn next (and is also going to be another in the forum family - so you’ll have great place to talk about your experiences :003:)

Re React, it is a front-end Javascript framework created by Facebook. I am not a fan of JS or FB :lol:

python - first version was 2.2, using it since then
now learning elixir
interested in rust

2 Likes

c
c++
c#
Arm Assembly
R
Julia
and Elm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Elm, F#, Purescript, Haskell, LFE (Lisp Flavored Erlang), Elixir is still my favorite out of all of them. I do C# for a living but I don’t find it very interesting :smile:

1 Like

Interested in:
Scala
Elm
Haskell
Elixir
Clojure

Use at work:
Java
PHP
Javascript

1 Like

Really loving the diverse backgrounds of all our members. It’s also very encouraging to see so many of us interested in Elm :023:

Btw I have added two new fields to our profiles:

• Languages you have used
  • Languages you are interested in

As this might be handy when replying to threads (such as this one)

3 Likes

Currently learning and interested in:

• Phoenix/Elixir
  • Erlang
  • Elm

Using at work:

• Coldfusion (moving to .NET)
  • JS
2 Likes

How are you finding the jump from Erlang to Elixir Dina?

I haven’t switched back and forth too much. I just decided to start with Erlang first. Jumping into Elixir after Erlang was ok…at least I was already familiar with some of the concepts in Elixir after reading through the Erlang book. There were definitely some syntax changes to get used to (anon functions, use of the ^pin tag in Elixir, not having to use the “.” to end – lots of things).

Using head|tail, pattern matching and recursion was new to me, but I picked that up in the Erlang book initially. I just thought it would be good to start with knowing a little about the constructs that Elixir was based on. At least I feel like if I open an .erl file it’s not totally foreign to me!

I think I probably want to go back and re-read some of Programming Erlang again at this point. I feel like it would make more sense to me than the first time around. Or, at least more OTP stuff.

3 Likes

Is that the route you would recommend? Or in hindsight do you think it might have been better/easier to learn Elixir first then Erlang. Also, how important do you think it is to learn Erlang?

I think a lot of people say learn Elixir first because it’s more approachable (and then learn Erlang along the way). I’m not sure if I chose the best way to do it starting with Erlang – it worked for me, but may not work for everyone.

There’s some discussion of which path is better on HN, here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9603627

3 Likes

Thanks - I wasn’t aware that Joe’s book was published by Pragprog - that makes it a must-buy for me! I’m a huge fan of both Joe and Pragprog :003:

I’ve added it to my wishlist, but I will probably only read it after I learn Elixir… cos I don’t think I am smart enough for Erlang :lol:

2 Likes

I learned Erlang several years ago (before there even was Elixir). The syntax is a little odd, but I never really found it unapproachable. I don’t think you need to learn it first. Understanding OTP is the big win for Erlang/Elixir.

2 Likes

All the E’s

• Elm
  • Elixir
  • Erlang
3 Likes