emanoelims

emanoelims

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all doing well.

First of all, I want to congratulate the team on the Phoenix LiveView 1.0 release! :tada: This is a major milestone for the community, bringing great improvements and making development even more productive. I’ve been migrating parts of my projects to LiveView, and the experience has been fantastic so far.

That got me thinking: what’s next for Phoenix LiveView? Is there an official roadmap, or any planned directions for its future? What new features or improvements can we expect?

Recently, I came across an article from DockYard, where Sergio Arbeo, a senior staff engineer, shared his thoughts on areas where both Elixir and LiveView could improve. One of his points caught my attention:

“Stop the attitude against JS, incorporate a way to send messages between components, add an API to include custom JS commands.”

:link: DockYard Blog: What DockYard Engineers Are Looking Forward to in 2025

I find this perspective interesting. At the end of the day, many of us still need to write JavaScript in our LiveView apps, often relying on hooks, Alpine.js, or even integrations like LiveSvelte and LiveVue. While LiveView’s declarative approach is fantastic, do you think it makes sense to provide more built-in support for JavaScript when needed?

Would love to hear the community’s thoughts on:

  • The future of Phoenix LiveView: what’s planned next?
  • The balance between LiveView’s declarative model and JS integration.
  • Whether there’s room for a more seamless way to handle JavaScript where necessary.

Looking forward to the discussion! :rocket:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews