santoshD13
I have 2 tables trainings and training_instances. Please see the schema below:
trainings table:
column_name data_type is_nullable. foreign_key
id uuid NO NULL
day int4 NO NULL
start_time time(0) NO NULL
end_time time(0) NO NULL
team_id uuid YES public.teams(id)
inserted_at timestamp(0) NO NULL
updated_at timestamp(0) NO NULL
Note that trainings table does not have a date or start_date column yet. The column named day is the day of the week. One training_id can have multiple training instances.
training_instances table:
column_name data_type is_nullable. foreign_key
id uuid NO NULL
date date NO NULL
start_time time(0) NO NULL
end_time time(0) NO NULL
team_size int4 YES NULL
training_id uuid YES public.trainings(id)
team_id uuid YES public.teams(id)
inserted_at timestamp(0) NO NULL
updated_at timestamp(0) NO NULL
I am trying to create a new column named start_date in the trainings table and then insert the data here for existing trainings. I want to insert for every training the oldest date for its corresponding training instance in this new start_date column.
What would be the best way to write a migration here?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
03juan
Welcome to the forum
I would separate the schema migration and data updating into separate concerns. See José’s answer https://stackoverflow.com/a/48382065.
And generally I wouldn’t do the data update in a migration script because if you import your schema into the migration it’ll work at the time that you’re doing this execise, but if you re-run your migrations to setup a new database in the future, there is no guarantee that the Elixir schema hasn’t been updated in the meantime. For example, if in the future you do another structural change, the future Elixir schema may not match the shape of what the older migration is trying to do and it’ll just crash.
Rather put the temporary data migration in a Mix.Task that you run once and then can delete from your code’s repo when you’re done, to prevent hitting a wall in the future.