josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Showing Posts 1 to 10

amnu3387

amnu3387

Gives me 404 :dizzy_face:
It’s the trailing / on the link

josevalim

josevalim OP

Creator of Elixir

The link works fine here. Maybe it is something related to the CDN? Please try again soon!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Working fine here too :slight_smile:

Well done @doomspork - I am sure people are going to look forward to these updates :023:

JEG2

JEG2

Author of Designing Elixir Systems with OTP

In the last bullet, I believe “Steam” should be “Stream.”

Eiji

Eiji

@josevalim: Link url in HTML code on this page:

<a href="github.com/whatyouhide/stream_data">stream_data library</a>

Is interpreted in my browser as:

https://elixir-lang.org/blog/2017/12/05/whats-new-in-elixir/github.com/whatyouhide/stream_data

My browser: Vivaldi 1.14.1030.3 (latest snapshot) 64-bit

Where could I submit a bug and PR? :077:

Elixir is one of projects that I’m always waiting for next version. :smiley:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Disagreements about formatting are a thing of the past!

They aren’t as we still have the choice to not use the formatter.

I keep my stance, that shuffling comments (eg. comments on struct fields) and removing trailing commas is a bad idea. Also I’m not a friend of the uniform gap of a single line between different clauses of the same function and totally different functions.

Stream data and property testing will be joining Elixir core in a future release.

I’m looking forward into this!

ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

I think it’s implied that this is only when actually using the formatter.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Same here. I much prefer writing code like this:

defmodule X do
  def a(param1, param2 \\ nil)
  def a(param1, nil), do: ...
  def a(param2, param2), do: ...

  def b(whatever), do: ...
end

When scanning the code, this gives me an immediate clue that these 3 functions above are function header and two pattern-matched variants.

As @ericmj said, we’re not mandated to use the formatter of course, but I’d still expect the above to be the default.

DanCouper

DanCouper

Great that the dynamic supervisor sneaked in there. I was trying to implement one a month or so ago, and happened on the discussion on the Elixir repo from a year or so ago when the idea was floated, just assumed it had come to nothing and been shelved, it’ll be really useful to have that out of the box.

josevalim

josevalim OP

Creator of Elixir

I have fixed it. But a PR is definitely appreciated in the future, the repo is at GitHub - elixir-lang/elixir-lang.github.com: Website for Elixir · GitHub.

Please open up an issue about the comment shuffling on struct fields, I don’t believe this particular behaviour is desired. The other complaints had their pros and cons discussed elsewhere, so I won’t rehash them there. :slight_smile:

Ironically the code you wrote would be kept as is by the formatter. :slight_smile: The issue is with do/end blocks which is where most disagree in regards to the placement of newlines (and the formatter chose to add a newline before and after the block).

Where Next? Top

Trending in News Top

josevalim
Hi everyone, I am sharing this announcement here in case some of you might be interested. Dear colleagues, IRIF (Paris) is opening a p...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews