CptnKirk
I’m looking for some good articles on where OTP and Elixir are heading in their next releases.
I’m aware of the OTP blog entry that touches on polling IO in OTP 21: I/O polling options in OTP 21 - Erlang/OTP
Any other resources/roadmaps/presentations that people in the know could share?
Same thing for Elixir. I hear that a major theme for Elixir 1.7 is easier production deployment support/tooling, but I could be wrong. Does anyone have anything more authoritative?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
CptnKirk
More OTP info:
kokolegorille
For the Elixir part, there is this presentation from @josevalim at the last Elixir conf EU. It’s about code formatter and property based testing, both will be included in release 1.6 and 1.7.
For the deployment part, @bitwalker is presenting the roadmap here.
AstonJ
Also, not strictly linked to anything official - but I can’t wait for PragDave’s next course. He gave us a really good glimpse of what’s possible with how we go about architecting our Elixir apps in his first course, and I think once he expands on that in his second course a l o t of people are going to jump aboard. I really do think this could be huge for Elixir - his approach is radical, smart and really really exciting!
Can you tell I am really excited by it all?
jordiee
I loved his first course! I read every book available at the time and of all the content intake his course was my absolute favorite!
CptnKirk
For those wanting to play with the new releases. Things like kiex and kerl make life pretty easy.
https://github.com/taylor/kiex
https://github.com/kerl/kerl
Got me up and running with the latest OTP build. Similar steps are typically required for Elixir.
Do note, that I had trouble with Elixir 1.6.4 and OTP 21.0-rc1. The changes made to OTP’s Logger appear to make Elixir angry. Still, when there is a new Elixir build available that better supports OTP 21, kiex has your back (I also hear good things about asdf).
rvirding
Another alternative is to check out the Erlang conferences, used to be called EUC and Erlang Factory, now called Code BEAM as there is usually a talk by someone from the OTP team telling what is in the pipeline.
CptnKirk
Newly released Elixir 1.6.5 resolves the Logger issues ppl were having while playing with OTP 21 release candidates.
CptnKirk
This seems to work well. I had been using Nifsy to access named pipes. Now the native File APIs work just fine (better even, since I was able to crash Nifsy from time to time).
Can we get a pull-based Port output mechanism now? Give me that and I won’t need to use named pipes to back-pressure process output.
PragTob
Another good check of what’s coming up is checking out this years BEAM community google summer of code projects:
@AstonJ I’m usually not a fan of video courses, but I love PragDave (can anyone guess where my name comes from?
) and with such a glowing recommendation from you I might give it a shot.
@CptnKirk asdf is great, my only version manager for 1.5 years on 3 different machines.
AstonJ
Waaaat, you haven’t done it yet!?
It’s worth many more times it’s current price tag, but I persuaded Dave to drop the price to $30 to make it as accessible as possible and ‘too good to miss’. I reckon every Elixir developer should watch it - I really did love it that much… and I think you will too!