What's the best way to handle adding auxilary info like (userIsSubscribed, userLikedPost, etc.) in Absinthe/Dataloader

Ok, so currently I have User’s and Chat’s as well as a Subscription schema that joins them.

Then when I’m querying in this case chats, I can add extra info like this (I’m getting the user_id out of the context):

query
    |> add_current_user_is_subscribed(user_id)

Here’s what those functions look like:

def add_current_user_is_subscribed(%Ecto.Query{from: %{source: {_, Chat}}} = q, nil), do: q

def add_current_user_is_subscribed(%Ecto.Query{from: %{source: {_, Chat}}} = q, user_id) do
    from(c in q,
      left_join: cs in Subscription,
      on: cs.chat_id == c.id and cs.user_id == ^user_id,
      select_merge: %{
        current_user_is_subscribed: not is_nil(cs.id)
      }
    )
  end

This works fine if I’m directly querying Chats, but if I’m querying a User, and getting their associated subscribed_chats. It doesn’t work. Because Chat is no longer the source.

query CurrentUser {
  currentUser {
   subscribedChats {
      currentUserIsSubscribed <- my add_current_user_is_subscribed function no longer works here, because the soure of the query is now User, not Chat.
    }
  }
}

since currentUserIsSubscribed is a virtual field, and never gets populated in this case, it just returns nil. Yes, I’m aware this is a contrived example, because by default a user would be subscribed to everything present in subscribed_chats, but I’d still like that correct bool there, because it’s being used on the front-end to change wording/display/etc.

My next line of thinking was to have dataloader handle doing this querying, but I can’t figure out how to pass the user_id from context down to dataloader.

If this was the only place it was an issue, I could probably deal with it, but I have quite a few things like this: userLiked, userReported, userSaved, userHid, etc. so I’d like the most elegant solution to populating this data accurately and efficiently.

Any advice?