When is Elixir going to be famous?

I agree with @OvermindDL1 to a large extent, though not necessarily to the extent of forcing strong typing on the language (which I don’t see happening). The main pain point is compile-time analysis, which effectively comes down to tooling.

Right now, to the best of my knowledge, Emacs and Vim (and variants) are the most popular IDEs. I come from the Windows world to Elixir/Erlang because of the natural concurrency model of the BEAM being the best of the FP + OOP worlds. I’ve become pretty decent at Vim, but Emacs was just too different. (I don’t want to start a war here over the various qualities of these - If you’re ninja in your stack, then that’s great.)

My point is that there is a huge investment in just being able to edit a file. Elixir/Erlang has the superb architecture and infrastructure. And I have repeatedly said that I think Elixir’s documentation is top-notch and may be my favorite aspect (and the community genuinely rocks!). The next big goal, IMO, should not be language improvements (though I love and welcome them hehe). It should be tooling for us mainstream-ish-ers, with these particulars: solid, and reliable intellisense, jump-to-def and back, and refactoring. Oh how I miss refactoring (but it’s not worth it trying to program asynchronously in any other language).

That’s my two-cents. Lots of luv.

1 Like