Which code editor (or IDE) do you use?

Vim fan here, but hear a lot of great things about Emacs, Sublime, Atom and even TextMate 2…

Edit: Please see this more recent thread:

3 Likes

Vim/Gvim.

1 Like

I use Sublime. It has a nice package and is fast. I’ve been looking into using Vim sometimes, though.

2 Likes

For Elixir, I decided to try emacs (again, for perhaps the 5th time) as Alchemist looks so useful… however, despite evil mode, I cannot make the switch from vim (neovim) ;(

I also use VS Code as my visual editor for when I want that sort of thing.

2 Likes

What do you think of Neovim @mackenza - how does it differ from MacVim?

I love neovim. I am a solid user of vim but don’t write plugins or anything like that so for my use, it’s 100% compatible with vim (so far) and is faster and just feels more “crisp”.

As for macvim… I am (shock) not a mac user. I am a linux guy. It is definitely a minority position in the world of open source devs, but I love Linux and have no interest in Apple products (yes, I use Android too… heh). So I can only compare to vim on Linux and neovim rocks!

3 Likes

Spacemacs

6 Likes

Long time VIM user. But just switched to Spacemacs. I love it. Especially for Elixir development with Alchemist.

2 Likes

6 character limit - Vim

2 Likes

I really do need to look into it - what are the main benefits of it? Is it more like an IDE?

I’ve heard emacs is totally different from Vim - that’s kinda scary!

1 Like

There’s Vim-mode in Spacemacs!! :smiley:

Most vim-mode packages in other editors suck. In spacemacs its very good.

Once you learn the spacemacs keybindings (which are very easy btw) you are good to go. I did a full switch over in less than a week.

3 Likes

Just reading up on it - sounds quite neat actually (wondering why I haven’t tried it before now!)

Spacemacs is a new way to experience Emacs – a sophisticated and polished set-up focused on ergonomics, mnemonics and consistency.

Just clone it, launch it, then press the space bar to explore the interactive list of carefully-chosen key bindings. You can also press the home buffer’s [?] button for some great first key bindings to try.

Spacemacs can be used naturally by both Emacs and Vim users – you can even mix the two editing styles. Switching easily between input styles makes Spacemacs a great tool for pair-programming.

Spacemacs is currently in beta, and contributions are very welcome.

Does it have multiple split windows? That is one of my favourite features of Vim.

Also would you know if it’s easy enough to create a theme?

1 Like

You can split all day:

:split or :vsplit

1 Like

Nice one! Definitely going to check it out.

The other one I am going to try is Atom - it seems to be becoming very popular (and I’m wondering why).

LevelUpTuts have also released a course on it over at YouTube, and their stuff is usually pretty good:

2 Likes

I spent a week with Atom before Spacemacs. Not to sway you too much, If you are vim-head like me you’ll enjoy Spacemacs more than Atom. The split windows in Atom really bother me. Again, for Elixir, Alchemist (in Spacemacs) is awesome!

Definitely give them a try and go for what works for you.

1 Like

Thanks Karmen, I am definitely going to check it out. Do you know of any good learning resources or tutorials for it?

http://spacemacs.org/doc/DOCUMENTATION.html

Each layer has their own doc page so I look those up as needed. ie. Elixir https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/tree/master/layers/%2Blang/elixir

3 Likes

I use spacemacs when I’m working on a big project and neovim when doing quick testing/editing

2 Likes

Might sound like a silly question, but do you need to learn emacs before spacemacs?

I enabled Vim-mode and was off and running. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like