English3000

English3000

I’m currently reading through Functional Web Development in Elixir. It walks the reader through how to build an app using a stateful OTP server in place of a database.

When one first begins a project, a main benefit of using a stateful server, the author @lance posits, is it decouples and separates one’s design from one’s database tables. Because of Elixir’s concurrency, Phoenix’s bandwidth and Presence feature, and OTP’s fault tolerance and high-scale distributability, the stateful server is now a viable alternative to a database, reducing code complexity and app latency.

What I’m wondering:

  1. What are the bounds of a stateful server? I.e. What level of usage requires the switch to a database?

  2. What does that transition look like? For example, could one still keep pieces of the stateful server for speed (where throughput isn’t as much an issue)?

  3. In production, wouldn’t best practice be for the stateful server to offload state to the database, and for it to fetch the most recent state from maybe Redis, were there a system-wide reboot? I.e. Is OTP truly reliable enough for a production app not to require some sort of fallback for the state?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

wmnnd

wmnnd

Using a database (whether it’s a traditional SQL database or an OTP database such as Mnesia) makes sense when you want to persist data beyond application restarts. This might be true for parts of your data or all of your data, depending on your application.

I personally tend to just use an SQL database right away because it usually fits my application’s need anyways.
But if that’s not the case, you can always add a persistence layer to your stateful application that takes care of storing data when required and loading it when it gets restarted. With this approach you can leave most of your code unchanged and simply add code for storing/retrieving in/from the DB to your own state management functions.

dom

dom

A database is useful to store dynamic state that can’t be reconstructed, for instance user input. Things that can be rebuilt, or queried from another service, often don’t need to go in DB. See:

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Another consideration is deployment. If you have persistent state in your application, you’ve essentially made your application a database. The way you database is very different from the way you deploy an application with no persistent state. There’s a concept called Pets vs Cattle, where Pets are special applications that need a lot of criteria to be true. For example, if you’re using disk based persistence, then if you roll that application, you’ll want it to have access to the same disk on reboot. Cattle, applications without persistent state, can be killed and booted anywhere.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

See Phoenix Contexts for reference. You can make your own modules and functions that do reading, querying, writing and deleting and the consumer would be none the wiser on how is the data stored. So you can code according to your requirements from day one really.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews