joshamb

joshamb

LiveView uses Playwright for e2e testing, whilst also shipping with LiveViewTest

They both have there pros, but the biggest ones (to me) are:

  • Playwight - codegen (the ability to interactively create your tests in the browser very quickly)
  • LiveViewTest - (is probably) a lot quicker to run a significant amount of tests & native integration for component testing

I was wondering how other people decide when to use which one, or if they only use either Playwight or LiveViewTest (or another!).

From how I see it, LiveViewTest has the advantage of it being able to do both component and e2e tests, however it’s much quicker (for a developer) to make e2e tests in Playwright.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

D4no0

D4no0

For e2e tests, there is also Wallaby.

It’s all about whether you want a battery-included solution or you are OK with doing/maintaining a part of the setup yourself. LiveViewTest as you mentioned is a unified tool for all your phoenix test needs, it requires zero setup if you have a phoenix project, but at the same time it’s obviously not as flexible as using the dependency directly.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

To me the biggest consideration is that if you need to execute your js hooks then you’ll need a full e2e runner like Playwright or Wallaby since LiveViewTest runs only the Elixir code.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s currently work happening on phoenix_test to make playwright another driver for it, so switching to it would become a config switch.

fteschke

fteschke

Here’s the mentioned Playwright driver for PhoenixTest:

defmodule Features.RegisterTest do
  use PhoenixTest.Playwright.Case

  @tag trace: :open                      # replay in interactive viewer
  test "register", %{conn: conn} do
    conn
    |> visit(~p"/")
    |> click_link("Register")
    |> fill_in("Email", with: "f@ftes.de")
    |> click_button("Create an account")
    |> assert_has(".text-rose-600", text: "required")
  end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews