noam87

noam87

Hi, so I’m reading Elixir In Action and on page 159 it hints that spawning off concurrent processes is a code smell.

Scenario: User clicks button to generate a schedule -> a schedule is generated in the background -> an email task sends him an email with the schedule -> at the same time a db task converts this schedule into db-friendly format and stores it.

Approach 1: Have a bunch of long running servers, ScheduleServer, EmailServer, DbConverterServer, all waiting for messages to process in its inbox. User actions simply send a message.

Approach 2: Every time a user does one of these actions, I spawn off a new instance of ScheduleGenerator (which itself spawns the other processes that come after), so that each user request is done in parallel. When the task is complete, the process dies.

Which would be the “elixir way” to do this? What are some rules of thumb for when to choose one approach over the other?

Showing Posts 3 to 1

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

That’s certainly not what I meant to say :slight_smile: The paragraph you’re refering to just warns that if you’re optimizing a sequential piece of code, you should first consider algorithmic and technology-specific optimizations.

The reason I added that comment is because I’ve seen people frequently trying to optimize a suboptimal algorithm by running chunks in multiple processes. While that might improve performance, it is often better to first consider whether algorithm can be improved. For example, if you can reduce complexity from say polynomial to logarithmic, then you should get much better savings.

However processes should certainly be used to run different independent or loosely dependent things. Per your description, the output of e-mailing is not depending on storing to db, so you can do those two things in separate processes. This will not only improve efficiency (the VM might run those things in parallel), but also fault-tolerance (if e-mailing fails, storing to db might still succeed).

When it comes to your question, I agree with @dom’s response. You need a long-running server only if it needs to keep some state or if actions need to be serialized.

jwarlander

jwarlander

Are you refer to the last part of the page?

“If you can’t make message handling fast enough, you can try to split the server into multiple processes, […] This should be your last resort, though. Parallelization isn’t a remedy for a poorly constructed algorithm.”

If so, I think he just means that exactly; start by optimizing the algorithm itself, making sure each single message is handled efficiently. Then, if the algorithm can meaningfully be parallelized, try to split into multiple processes if need be.

There are other reasons for concurrency, of course. Some things, like incoming web requests, are naturally concurrent. Other things may need the fault isolation that a separate process gives you.

If you were to make a game, for example, it’s quite likely each player’s input would be handled in a separate process. Any fault in the input handling code could then only crash that process, and wouldn’t affect any other player. For a game with room-based navigation, each room might be a process as well - players could affect the state of the room by dropping items, picking them up, maybe destroying things, etc. In this case as well, you’d benefit from the fault isolation; code execution that’s triggered in the room process only affects that room and it’s inhabitants. With the right monitors, crashes in either of those parts can be safely handled with minimal impact.

Email sending is probably a typical thing though where you need to limit concurrency with a pool, or just have a single persistent email sender process, depending on your scale.

dom

dom

Approach 1 makes sense if schedules have to be processed in order. The point of the process then is to serialize the calls. Otherwise, it’s better not to go through one process, because it creates a potential bottleneck.

I would use a supervised task: http://elixir-lang.org/docs/stable/elixir/Task.html

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews