ityonemo

ityonemo

A somewhat embarassing question – where do logs wind up in prod (system: ubuntu 18.04)?

I noticed that /var/log/syslog seems to be logging some elixir events, but they don’t contain meaningful string messages, just the metadata (or at least so it seems).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Hi @ityonemo!

This would depend upon how you have deployed your application. Could you share more information about your setup?

Thanks!

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

Right. things have changed around logging recently =D

OTP/22; 1.10.2

I just standard MIX_ENV=prod mix release <release name> deliver by untarring to /dir/to/release and use systemd to launch:

[Unit]
Description=My App
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=me
WorkingDirectory=/dir/to/release
ExecStart=/dir/to/release/bin/release start
ExecStop=/dir/to/release/bin/release stop
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

in config.exs, i have:

config :logger, :console,
  format: "$time $metadata[$level] $message\n",
  metadata: [:request_id],
  colors: [error: [:bright, :light_red]]

in prod.exs, I have:

config :logger, backends: [:console]

should I be adding extra logger backends to get them to durable filesystem?

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

I’m not the most familiar with systemd but it has it’s own logging system called journald.

I’m on my phone now so I can’t look up the exact command but if I’m correct you should be able to view the logs from your systemd unit with the journalctl program.

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

Yep, got it. thanks! Haha I just don’t linux system admin enough to remember that, but it’s not a command I’ve never run before =D

hauleth

hauleth

As you are logging to console then the data ended in journal as @lpil said. You can check them by journalctl -u my_app.service. Just in case, if you want better support for journal logs then you can check out my systemd library which provides some handy utilities.

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

I wish I could give solution to both of you, but I think I’m going to give it to @hauleth to mark down the appropriate command for future users.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews