jononomo

jononomo

I am trying to figure out how Mix knows whether the environment is test, dev, or prod – where is this set?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/50293b46f13a86328f0ffabdcbb8592e29ac24c6/lib/mix/lib/mix/state.ex#L11

it gets set here. It’s a compile-time variable, gets fetched fron shell environment, and default value is “dev”.

BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

And for anyone who isn’t already aware (like me until relatively recently), this means you can set the environment on each mix command.

Unix-like:

MIX_ENV=prod mix {task}

Windows:

set "MIX_ENV=prod" && mix {task}
10
Post #2
NobbZ

NobbZ

At least for UNIXoid systems, that is not possible on windows.

BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

As it happens I was at the mix intro doc tonight so I came across the Windows equivalent and edited my reply.

NobbZ

NobbZ

It is not 100% equivalent and one needs to know the differences when using the windows version:

$ echo %MIX_ENV%
%MIX_ENV%

$ set MIX_ENV=test && mix deps.get
Running dependency resolution...
All dependencies up to date

$ echo %MIX_ENV%
test

Linux:

$ echo $MIX_ENV

$ MIX_ENV=test mix deps.get
Running dependency resolution...
All dependencies up to date

$ echo $MIX_ENV

As you can see, in linux the value of MIX_ENV is only overwritten for that single command and recovered afterwards, while the windows version changes the value permanently.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I just use a bash/cygwin shell on Windows, much more uniform. ^.^

yurko

yurko

aside from inlining them with command calls in Linux these can be set on a user level by adding them to .profile or .bashrc or for all users in /etc/environment or /etc/profile, this might be useful when provisioning servers

nathanl

nathanl

A related concept: you may have noticed that when you run mix test, it assumes MIX_ENV=test, but most tasks assume MIX_ENV=dev unless otherwise specified.

To set the default environment for a Miix task (eg, a task to run JS tests) or task alias, you can use :preferred_cli_env. For example:

defmodule MyProject.Mixfile do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [
      # ...
      aliases: aliases(),
      preferred_cli_env: [
        # note that all task names are atoms
        test: :test,
        jstest: :test,
        "test.all": :test
      ]
    ]
  end

  # ...

  defp aliases do
    [
      "test.all": ["test", "jstest"]
    ]
  end
end
IanVaughan

IanVaughan

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews