jjabba

jjabba

I’m working on an App using phoenix 1.4. Im trying to understand in which file to define my Ecto changesets. This is my particular scenario:

Under the ‘Domain’ context im creating entities and actors. These two Ecto schemas are defined in:

lib/myapp/domain/entity.ex & lib/myapp/domain/actor.ex.

My context related business logic lives in lib/my_app/domain/domain.ex.

I read this blog post a while back and to the best of my understanding it suggests to keep schemas clean and free of anything but the schema definitions, and favor putting any changeset definitions in the context (read the ‘Schemas are not models’ section of the blogpost’).

What is the most recent take on this, where should my changeset definitions for entity and actor go?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Eiji

Eiji

First of all this article is from 2017 and it’s based on release candidate. It’s obviously outdated if you would take a look how to install archive.

The best way is to read phoenix documentation:

Please make sure to read also related guides.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Don’t get too hung up on how other people organize their projects. Find a way that looks intuitive to you and your team. The most important metric should be this one:

“How do I organize the project so that if I get a 3 months of vacation I’ll be able to decipher what I did immediately after coming back?”

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FWIW, phx.gen.schema includes import Ecto.Changeset as part of every generated schema file. I’d consider that a strong endorsement from the framework for putting changeset functions in schemas :slight_smile:

jjabba

jjabba OP

Thanks!
I’ve eyed through the docs linked by @Eiji, and based on that and the way the phx.gen.schema behaves I have decided to put my changeset def in the schema files with @doc false, and use specialized functions in the context as a gateway to access them.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews