Hello all! So after my controversial introduction with Learning Elixir, frst impressions ( plz don’t kill me ! ) - I saw a ton of recommendations for learning Elixir. The challenge however is that I don’t have time to read them all - that would take me several months or even years.
So I need to start somewhere. After checking the official page:
I concluded I am interested in Videos / Books.
What book should I get?
So, I am not completely new to FP. I know what lambdas and recursion are and I am quite familiar with the basic concepts of FP.
What I don’t know however, is how to do FP Elixir style. I am looking for a book or video that:
- Teaches me the basics of Elixir and how to think in Elixir
- Preferably has no association with frameworks ( yet, I will invest into Phoenix and OTP later as I rather have the basics of the Elixir mindset well cemented for now )
- Has exercises ( I am using Exercism.io but I could use something with more guidance )
- Preferably cheap ( I have seen some books recommended by the Erlang community with a woping 120€ price. I can’t afford anything near that. )
- Preferable with immediate availability. I am a sucker for physical copies but right now I can’t wait a week for a book to get to me. A PDF file would be just fine.
I have checked online courses in Udemy and Pluralsight, but I am reluctant into buying them because I am not really sure if they are worth it.
So, given my background, what I am looking for and the resources the community knows, which ones would you recommend ?
I tried to check this one out:
But I am not really new to FP so I am not sure if this is a good purchase for me.