Which code editor (or IDE) do you use?

A recent convert to evil mode and don’t know if I can go back.

I tried evil, after 24 hours of about 50% productivity I switched back… But TBH I am still searching for something better than M-m for SPC and M-RET for :(?)…

I’m so new to emacs/spacemacs, that I don’t really know the difference between Evil mode and Holy mode. Care to enlighten?

Basically Spacemacs has 3 different of key bindings. Evil-mode(or Vim-mode) you get Vim key bindings and holy-mode(Emacs-mode) for Emacs key-binding and Hybrid mode for both.

It is not only the keybindings, the much more importand difference is, that in evil mode, there is distinguished between an editing and an not-editing mode, while in emacs/holy mode, you are always in editing mode.

I use Vim when I’m developing in Ruby/Elixir… and I use IntelliJ whenever I’m doing Java stuff. There are simply no plugins in the world that make Java development in Vim easy…

1 Like

Check out Eclim.

The power of Eclipse in your favorite editor.

1 Like

I’ll give this a go! So far I’ve just been making do with the ideavim plugin on IntelliJ.

I’m sorry that you have to program in Java.

2 Likes

Necessary evils.

1 Like

vim(neovim) with alchemist.vim plugin

1 Like

Entirely vim at home, but at work we’ve started using Atom.io for the Elixir code. It is not bad actually, other than it crashes a few times a day and has to be restarted, but it has not lost any unsaved work yet at least.

2 Likes

Not sure how you find crashing acceptable. Something similar to Atom.io is Visual Studio Code. Here’s the Elixir support as well.

I personally use Spacemacs (emacs and vim combined).

2 Likes

Because compared to my home linux desktop that is rock solid, my Windows work computer is anything but stable, so I just expect it. :wink:

Hmm, I’ll look at it.

Heard of it, never used it, can it really seem vim’y or is it like the poor evil mode in emacs that lacks way too much functionality? And does it work well on Windows?

1 Like

I miss nothing from Vim proper in Spacemacs.

I have it installed on my windows computer and it seemed to work well. I rarely use that computer though, in fact haven’t turned it on in over a month so I can’t attest to how it works at the moment.

1 Like

This forum has a wiki for Spacemacs.

I tried Spacemacs on Windows and it worked for me (but I use it on Debian nowadays). Instructions.

It’s better than the typical “evil” mode. Does a lot more. Give it a try… doesn’t take too long to set up. :slight_smile:

Edit: You should use it with Alchemist (never tried it on Windows though).

4 Likes

Just a comment - - use emacs without evil mode on Windows. Very happy with Alchemist. Plus there’s a Powershell major mode that is really pretty nice on Windows.

2 Likes

Rubymine with the Elixir plugin

1 Like

Rubymine is just IntelliJ with the Ruby plugin by default I am guessing?

1 Like

I’ve been learning Vim and using vim-elixir. I used SublimeText for a long time with JavaScript but now with Elixir I switch into IEx a lot when I’m coding, so it’s easier to split panes in my terminal (OS X) using Tmux and work that way.

2 Likes