tomazbracic

tomazbracic

Hi,

I would like to ask for your opinion, find some suggestions on what to use (if there is any existing library I don’t know about), and how to approach it.

I am about to build a new product for parsing Comtrade .cfg and .dat files (there are two more files, but are not mandatory). COMTRADE (Common format for Transient Data Exchange for power systems) is a file format for storing oscillography and status data related to transient power system disturbances .

For better understanding, and if interested into the subject, you can take a look into this to get better understanding
http://dfv-technologie.com/doc_technique_dfv/perturbographie_qualimetrie/Tutorial%20COMTRADE.pdf

For others TLDR; you have .CFG files which describes a structure of .dat files. We’re talking about a mixture of ASCII and BINARY data and so on. Once you create a parser to understand the rules .cfg file define, you can go and parse binary data (.DAT) file. Each event has 1 .cfg and 1 .dat file. Later on I will need to do some correlations between 2 events and so on.

really simplified CFG example

EXAMPLE STATION NO. 1 DAU 32 N,32
15,7A,8D
1,161KV 01-G BUS POTENTIAL,kV, 0.479615,0.0,0.0,-511,511
2,161KV 02-G BUS POTENTIAL,kV, 0.479615,0.0,0.0,-511,511
3,161KV 03-G BUS POTENTIAL,kV, 0.479615,0.0,0.0,-511,511
4,161KV 01 CURRENT, A, 43.187479,0.0,0.0,-511,511
5,161KV 02 CURRENT, A, 43.187479,0.0,0.0,-511,511
6,161KV 03 CURRENT, A, 43.187479,0.0,0.0,-511,511
7,161KV RES CUR., A, 43.187479,0.0,0.0,-511,511
1,PCB 1216 EXAMPLE,1
2,PCB 1226 EXAMPLE,1
3,PCB 1236 EXAMPLE,1
4,161KV CAR. REC,1
5,161KV BUS POTENTIAL UV,1
6,161KV BUS POTENTIAL UF,1
7,EXTERNAL START,1
8,DATA CHECKSUM ERROR N/C,0
60
1
5184,47
01/18/1992,10: 2: 5.136
01/18/1992,10: 2: 5.215
ASCII
####################################################

really simplified DAT example

1,192,252,-233,-19,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
2,384,243,-243,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
3,576,232,-252,20,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
4,768,220,-260,40,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
5,960,207,-267,60,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
6,1152,192,-273,79,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
7,1344,176,-276,98,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
8,1536,160,-279,117,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
9,1728,142,-280,135,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
10,1920,124,-279,153,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
11,2112,105,-277,171,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
12,2304,85,-274,187,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
13,2496,65,-269,203,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
14,2688,45,-263,218,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
15,2880,25,-255,231,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
16,3072,5,-246,243,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
17,3264,-16,-235,253,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
18,3456,-36,-223,262,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
19,3648,-56,-210,269,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
20,3840,-76,-196,276,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
####################################################

This example above is ASCII type, mine are BINARY

Would you go and implement this on your own from the ground up or you would use some specific (existing) parsing library? I am asking if anybody knows of any library that might help me with parsing itself or if you don’t see this as an issue and would just write your own.

The other still “open” issue on this product is its integration into the Microsoft domain. I assume this shouldn’t be an issue anymore. MS LDAP and other keywords are probably well-supported by now. If you have any thoughts to share more than welcome.

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

D4no0

D4no0

One question, is this a structured format or you need some kind of look-ahead to parse it?

If you don’t need look-ahead, you can easily use binary pattern matching to make a very simple declarative parser, I could help if the protocol is not huge.

tomazbracic

tomazbracic OP

Not sure that I fully understand what you mean with look-ahead. Basically, when event is triggered, you get 2 files from that relay HW. 1 cfg file and 1 dat file. First you need to read cfg file in order to know what data is where in your second .dat file. Imagine Utility has like N number of relay in stations and substations. each relay has its own location, number of sensors, basically its own unique configuration. Did I explain?

D4no0

D4no0

OK, looks like I understand.

In simple database terms the first file defines your “columns” and the second has the actual data AKA “rows”?

D4no0

D4no0

PM me some sample binary files and I will give it a try.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews