Which linux distro are you using?

Happily using Fedora 25 now.

1 Like

I mostly live in the BSD family of Unixes: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and macOS. I donā€™t use Linux very much. But when I do, I choose good olā€™ Debian.

1 Like

If I had a choice about which linux to use Iā€™d take a long look at nix.

https://nixos.org/

But I donā€™t so I just deal with whatever the work gods decree. They are all horrible in their own ways.

3 Likes

Ubuntu LTS all the way on my computer (with Gnome desktop) and on all our servers, I like Arch though and Antergos looks interesting but I doubt Iā€™ll ever switch.

If Iā€™m not mistaken my system works since version 10.04 without having to reinstall it (even when dual booted Windows did itā€™s best to kill GRUB or defile partitions), that stability is worth a lot to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same for me. Full two days on Antergos and Iā€™m loving the AUR. So far so good!

2 Likes

Anyone using a Linux VM, with a Desktop Environment, on their mac? Does the Mac OS get in the way (of keyboard shortcuts) too much? Iā€™d love to go back to using a tiling WM and I want to mess with buildroot. How is the trackpad? Maybe the trackpad wouldnā€™t matter too much if I had XMonad.

1 Like

The VMs are dead, long live docker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Docker is built on poor abstractions, long live Jails and Containers. :wink:

2 Likes

I personally use Slackware. Aside from Linux, I also use OpenBSD (in particular, itā€™s what I prefer for servers and non-x86 workstations), and I have a machine that runs Haiku.

1 Like

Not poor abstraction :slight_smile: docker is part of https://www.opencontainers.org/

1 Like

Except its format is highly designed for a specific method of doing containers, it is not very extensible. :wink:

Like Illumos has a Docker layer on top of their Containers that people can use, but it lacks a lot of the capabilities the actual containers have, while being interestingly harder to use too. ^.^

1 Like

Iā€™ll eat my hat if I can run a desktop environment in a Docker container -conveniently, with mouse, video, etcā€¦

1 Like

Hmm, unsure about running an X client, but you could definitely run an X server in a container.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried this, but why do you need full desktop ?
http://jriddell.org/2017/01/06/kde-neon-now-available-on-docker/

2 Likes

I used Ubuntu a long time now (~10 years), and after a discussion with a co-worker it felt as if I had to do a switch. He tried to convince me about arch, but after we had some trouble getting WiFi on my small laptop up and running I pulled THAT switch, formatted it completely and tried to install Funtoo.

WiFi wasnā€™t easy but worked in the end. Installation of everything else took a while though :wink: System was usable after about a week. I played around and pulled the exact same switch on my other laptop. I knew already some important things, also it has more power, so I was able to have it usable in only 2 days.

Chances are very good to stick with Funtoo for another 10 years at least :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m using Linux Mint 17, as itā€™s very comfortable for me - itā€™s powered by debian, but GUI is very attractive and easy to use for Windows users (ask my wife about that :slight_smile: ).

Btw: Recently I had to install linux distro on my friendā€™s old netbook and I tested a bunch of them - Lubuntu, Peppermint, Linux Mint and finally I stayed with Point Linux 3.2.2 with Mate.
Funny fact: On some of the distros 720p movies had serious issue with rendering, on Point Linux everything was smooth.

At this moment, Elementary OS. Planning to switch to Arch.

Iā€™ve been using gentoo for many years, until it got ā€¦ bad.

I really enjoyed working with FreeBSD.

But my favorite Linux distro is Debian.

Iā€™m using at home Archlinux with Gnome 3 and Iā€™m very happy with this setup. But at work Iā€™m using OS X.

1 Like

I currently use either Ubuntu or Arch and have two Raspbian boards.

In the past Iā€™ve used Gentoo, Slackware and RedHat.

1 Like