jswanner

jswanner

Which is your preferred shell?

You can pick up to three
  • ash
  • bash
  • Bourne shell
  • CMD.EXE
  • COMMAND.COM
  • csh
  • fish
  • Hamilton C shell
  • ksh
  • Nushell
  • pdksh
  • PowerShell
  • Qshell
  • rc
  • Scsh
  • tcsh
  • Thompson shell
  • zsh
  • Other - please say in thread!
0 voters

Showing Posts 1 to 10

jswanner

jswanner OP

This post is a wiki - please feel free to add/edit as needed (please follow the same format/alphabetical order).

ash - https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ash/

A lightweight (92K) Bourne compatible shell. Great for machines with low
memory, but does not provide all the extras of shells like bash, tcsh, and
zsh.

bash - https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

an sh-compatible shell that incorporates useful features from the Korn shell
(ksh) and the C shell (csh). It is intended to conform to the IEEE POSIX
P1003.2/ISO 9945.2 Shell and Tools standard

Bourne shell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell

Developed by Stephen Bourne at Bell Labs, it was a replacement for the Thompson shell

CMD.EXE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmd.exe

is the default command-line interpreter for the OS/2, eComStation, ArcaOS,
Microsoft Windows (Windows NT family and Windows CE family), and ReactOS
operating systems

COMMAND.COM - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMAND.COM

is the default command-line interpreter for MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 and
Windows Me. In the case of DOS, it is the default user interface as well.

csh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_shell

The main design objectives for the C shell were that it should look more like
the C programming language and that it should be better for interactive use.

fish - http://fishshell.com/

a smart and user-friendly command line shell for Linux, macOS, and the rest of
the family.

Hamilton C shell - https://hamiltonlabs.com/Cshell.htm

a complete Unix shell environment for Windows

ksh - http://kornshell.com/

You can write programs to run faster with ksh than with either the Bourne
shell or the C shell, sometimes an order of magnitude faster. ksh has evolved
and matured with extensive user feedback.

Nushell - https://www.nushell.sh/

a shell that uses pipelines and structured data to control any operating system

pdksh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KornShell#Variants

PD-ksh is a clone of the Korn shell

PowerShell - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/

PowerShell is a cross-platform task automation solution made up of a
command-line shell, a scripting language, and a configuration management
framework. PowerShell runs on Windows, Linux, and macOS.

Qshell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qshell

A shell on the IBM i operating system based on POSIX and X/Open standards

rc - https://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/rc

is a command interpreter for Plan 9 that provides similar facilities to UNIX’s
Bourne shell, with some small additions and less idiosyncratic syntax.

Scsh - https://scsh.net/

an open-source Unix shell embedded within Scheme

tcsh - https://www.tcsh.org/

C shell with file name completion and command line editing

Thompson shell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_shell

the first Unix shell, introduced in the first version of Unix in 1971, and was
written by Ken Thompson

zsh - https://www.zsh.org/

a shell designed for interactive use, although it is also a powerful scripting
language

NobbZ

NobbZ

I use zsh as my interactive shell.

For scripts though I am experimenting with nushell.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I use zsh on my Mac and bash on our servers.

(PS did you edit the poll? Cos my vote disappeared - had to revote, anyone else who voted may need to revote as well)

jswanner

jswanner OP

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot Nushell

jswanner

jswanner OP

Oh, thanks for letting me know that editing the poll resets it. I won’t edit it anymore

AstonJ

AstonJ

I wasn’t aware it reset votes myself so it’s good to know. (There’s a 5 minute time-limit on editing polls)

jswanner

jswanner OP

Assuming you voted before, you’ll need to do so again, as I added Nushell to the list.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Let’s also experiment with something we mentioned a while back - pinning some of these polls to see if that helps more people notice them (as we get some many threads now) :smiley:

jswanner

jswanner OP

I find it interesting that you’re only experimenting with using nushell for scripting and not as your interactive shell. I’ve played around briefly with nushell as an interactive shell, and have been meaning to try it out more as it seems quite cool.

Why are you sticking with zsh as your interactive shell?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Familiarity… Basically…

I want to keep my prompt, I want to keep my completions, and I don’t like a lot of the nushell builtins.

And most snippets in the wild (usually ment for sh likes) work for zsh nearly without changes. I do not like to remember to adjust them each time I copy them.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Polls Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews