mmyers

mmyers

In the Application module, I know compile_env is newer than get_env and fetch_env, but it seems like it would be helpful to have the same function signature that allows passing a “key_or_path” to all of these.

compile_env(app, key_or_path, default \\ nil)
get_env(app, key, default \\ nil)
fetch_env(app, key)

I’d like the ability to do this:
path = Application.fetch_env!(:device, [:connection, :polling_interval])
and have the run time checks related to compile_env catch it.

Here is why I’m thinking of this.
Note: I realize this is contrived, and you’d almost have to try to do it wrong to have this code. but still, why shouldn’t we make the functions have the same signature?

When I have a config, sometimes I want to make parts of it set at compile time, and other parts of the config dynamic (set at run time).

And without matching calls, it seems like you could hide the problem compile_env is trying to fix.
For example:

If you have this in one place:
@polling_interval Application.compile_env!(:backend, [:connection, :polling_interval])

Nothing prevents you from doing this in another place:

# In a config file like config/releases.exs 
custom_polling_interval = System.get_env("POLLING_INTERVAL")

config :backend, :connection,
  polling_interval: custom_polling_interval,

And then trying to do this (and getting a different value than the result from compile_env), which is what compile_env tries to help us avoid.

connection = Application.get_env(:device, :connection)
path = Keyword.fetch(connection, :polling_interval)

Maybe that will still get a runtime error, and my example is invalid. :man_shrugging:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

tcoopman

tcoopman

Bumping this topic because I just noticed that compile_env takes a path and I was also confused why the others don’t allow a path.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I can’t find the source anymore, but iirc it’s plain backwards compatibility. Application.get_env(:myapp, [:abc, :def]) means it’s looking for the key [:abc, :def], not the value at the path [:abc, :def].

tcoopman

tcoopman

Hadn’t thought about that. That would be a valid reason

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews