solop

solop

Hi :slight_smile:

I am working on an input in a form with a custom autocomplete dropdown. I would like to realize it without a lot (or any) JS. I managed to create a working component, using phx-keydown events on the input. When keys like arrows, enter etc are pressed the autocomplete element is updated or the selected suggestion applied.

I am quite confused why it says in the docs that phx-keydown is not supported on inputs. The alternatives, installing a key listener on the window etc won’t work because I need to know in which element the keypresses originated. The other suggestion, to use phx-change also can’t support a UI like this, because I will get events when the content of the input changes but not when the user presses some arrow keys.

Does anyone know what “not supported” means here and why?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

andreaseriksson

andreaseriksson

Not a direct answer but the current element in the input is document.activeElement when you type

i-n-g-m-a-r

i-n-g-m-a-r

It means phx-keydown on an input field silently “disables” form level phx-change.
You can still use it but you’d have to propagate form level change events yourself.
For example using phx-blur which only gives you field params in your liveview.
If you want form params then you’d need to roll your own or manipulate some (hidden) field and…

document.querySelector("#form").dispatchEvent(
  new Event("change", {bubbles: true, cancelable: true})
);
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews