MissaouiChedy
I was recently experimenting with the possibility of retaining a channel instance’s state (assigns) between crashes.
In my testing application, I am causing the channel instance to crash and I noticed that the instance is not automatically restarted. It seems that channel instances are not supervised.
Why is it the case? Do we rely on the channel’s client to reestablish a connection thus creating a new channel instance on the server side?
DETAILS
Here is the code for the channel and the test that I am using:
defmodule ChanState.KablamChannel do
use ChanState.Web, :channel
def join("kablam", payload, socket) do
{:ok, assign(socket, :ns, [])}
end
def handle_in("add", %{"n" => n}, socket) do
ns = socket.assigns[:ns]
{:noreply, assign(socket, :ns, ns ++ [n])}
end
def handle_in("get", _, socket) do
ns = socket.assigns[:ns]
{:reply, {:ok, %{"ns" => ns}}, socket}
end
def handle_in("oopsy", _, socket) do
a = 1 / 0
{:noreply, socket}
end
end
TEST:
defmodule ChanState.KablamChannelTest do
use ChanState.ChannelCase
alias ChanState.KablamChannel
setup do
{:ok, _, socket} =
socket()
|> subscribe_and_join(KablamChannel, "kablam")
{:ok, socket: socket}
end
test "main", %{socket: socket} do
Process.unlink(socket.channel_pid)
push socket, "add", %{"n" => 2149}
push socket, "add", %{"n" => 1234}
ref = push socket, "get", %{}
assert_reply ref, :ok, %{"ns" => [2149, 1234]}
push socket, "oopsy", %{}
ref = push socket, "get", %{}
## The following returns undefined
IO.inspect(:erlang.process_info(socket.channel_pid))
assert_reply ref, :ok, %{"ns" => []}, 5000
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
It is very hard to supervise dynamic incarnations of processes, because the supervisor might restart processes that went down on purpose. Again not here have been experiments when genstage was developed.
benwilson512
Supervision does not entail automatic restart. A process can be supervised with the
:transientflag and will not be restarted if it crashes. Supervisors exist for more than restarting processes.In this case restarting the process can’t be easily done because it is now out of sync with the client. The client needs to re-connect to the channel in order for it to be properly re-established.