theodore

theodore

Noob question. But I was just wondering, is there any advantage to pattern matching a struct on the left hand side vs right hand side?

For e.g

defmodule Test do
  defstruct name: nil

  def fun1(x = %Test{name: name}) do
    IO.inspect(name)
  end

  def fun2(%Test{name: name} = x) do
    IO.inspect(name)
  end
end

It seems like both are equivalent, but the style of “struct on left hand side” is more common.

Here’s some other instances of what I mean

Showing Posts 1 to 8

voughtdq

voughtdq

AFAIK It’s just a stylistic choice.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

You are right, they are functionally equivalent.

I tend to use the left hand side because when I’m scanning code, its the pattern match I want to focus on first. The binding is the second consideration - especially when there are multiple function heads matching on different constructs.

10
Post #2
codeanpeace

codeanpeace

Another reason why it’s likely more common is that it keeps things consistent.

When pattern matching outside a function head, the variable is always on the right of the = match operator since the other way around is for variable assignment

defmodule Test do
  defstruct name: nil

  def fun(x) do
    %Test{name: name} = x
    IO.inspect(name)
  end
end
13
Post #3
adamu

adamu

This is the best reason I think :slight_smile:

More specifically, the variables on the left side get bound (unless you use the pin operator to indicate you want to use an existing variable) based on the data on the right. In a function head, the variables on both sides are bound based on the argument to the function.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 to this.

One other consideration: the x = %Test{name: name} shape looks similar to how other languages declare default arguments, versus the struct-on-the-left one which always means “pattern-match”.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Most Erlang code I’ve seen use the right hand side though. Pattern matching in the function haed has 2 purposes:

  • to de-structure the parameter. Left hand side feels more natual for this purpose.
  • to conditionally match one function clause out of several. Right hand side feels more natual for this purpose.

I guess Erlang and Elixir just pick different style convention out of the emphasizing which of the purposes are more important.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I think part of what makes it make sense in Erlang is that it doesn’t have re-binding. I feel like it would almost make more sense in Elixir if you had to use a pin to make if you want to put it on the left: def foo(^user = %User{}) since it’s sorta like, “this already has a value”. To be clear, I’m not suggesting that’s how I think it should actually be.

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

Just to be different I prefer in Erlang to use the left hand side. To me it looks more like a pattern match which is what I am doing. :smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews